Cold Season

Hidden Creek, Next Day
Hidden Creek

When we left off, you had just been led to your rooms by Maggy’s husband David who left you to your own devices. Standing outside the two story brick building are two guards. Maggy can be heard working in the kitchen.
You can avail yourselves of the gravity shower or get up to some other mischief

GM:
Its a cool day, a reminder that winter is not far off. Youd guess its in the mid 60s

  • Gunny attempts to quantify the amount of sweat forming in he ass crack while laying in the bushes on the outskirts of town. FIgures it about 1 mL

Gunny:
(he = the)
jered is disconnected.

  • Uriel makes his way downstairs to David, inquiring about the necessities for one of the previously offered showers
    You find david outside the building tinkering with manual walter pump
    jered has connected.
  • Egil makes his way toward the kitchen, observant as he works his way there. He taps on the doorframe with a knuckle. “God morn,” he says with an easy, mellifluous sing-song voice. “May I help you, Miss Maggie?”
  • Uriel steps over to the man and crouches down next to him, “What’ve you got there?” Uriel asks pleasently

David Kent:
Its just an nold pump im trying to get working again. Nothing important

Maggy Kent:
I wouldnt think of having my guests work around the house! Relax. Its a luxury these days.

Uriel:
“Maybe I can help, I’ve got a knack for tinkering. I’d usually reserve my services for trade, but you and your wife are nice enough to put up strangers in this time, a rare thing. It’s the least I can do to at least take a look.”

jered:
1,20,3

  • Egil shakes his head, taking a couple more steps into the kitchen. “My mother taught me better than that, m’am. And my wife would be…” He goes slient for a few moments. “I hope that somewhere another man is offering to help in her kitchen.”
    Egil:
    ((pronounced Egg-ihl, or ehg-uhl

Gunny:
(or Eagle)
Egil:
((if you want dysntery, infection, or a late-life circumcision.))

Maggy Kent:
Im sure she’s waiting for you… wherever she is

Gunny:
(I’ll fish fight you, or shoot out from 1000 yards)

Gunny:
(fish count as hand weapons btw
jered:
The battle damage on the outside of the town looks like it was done intentionally.

Egil:
Mork Mork!

Bernard:
me

Bernard:
What do you think these folks are up to

  • Gunny continues writing up his range card, thinking back to the times that he was a spotter and had a shooter to help with this kind of work.

Bernard:
seems fairly elaborate for an ambush

  • Uriel leans a bit closer to the pump, trying to give it a quick visual diagnostic before David says anything

Bernard:
but i will defer to you military guys

Uriel:
17,6,14

  • Egil takes a slow breath, exhaling through his nose. “I am sure. Quite sure.” He crosses over toward where Maggie is working. “Are there any who are sick in the town?”

Maggy Kent:
There’s always someone in need of looking after. Most havent seen a doctor in years.

  • Egil nods as he looks at Maggy. “We should start with you, Miss Maggy?” He turns a chair around and sits down. “How have you been feeling?”

Maggy Kent:
Im well. Hard work keeps me feeling tip top. At least Im still at home.

Egil:
((jacking off))

Gunny:
((Just like gunny, combat jacks are the best!)

Egil:
((gunny likes to jack i his gilly suit))

Gunny:
(Though, not technically a combat jack)

Egil:
12,8,5,9

  • Uriel glances over to David, “Looks like that piston is shot, it’s just creating friction. If you’ve got something I could file it down with, and a decent wrench, I might be able to get it running smooth.”

David Kent:
Well thats mighty kind of you. We’d have to go check out any tools from Bloom.

David Kent:
Er… Ill get some for you later If i can.

  • Egil looks to see what maggie is working on. “What of the barna?”
  • David Kent collects the pump parts and wanders off quickly
  • Uriel looks curiously at the old man scurring away, he makes a note of the name and gets to his feet. Making his way around the perimeter of the property, the long way to arrive at the posted guards. Trying to observe people, buildings, anything of notice. Smiling friendly and carefree the entire time.

Maggy Kent:
A… Barna?

  • Egil shrugs. “Sorry. Children. Are the children ok? Any birthings?”

Uriel:
7,17

Maggy Kent:
Oh! Yes of course… Cant stop the young can you.

Maggy Kent:
We’ve had two children. One born to a refugee named Melissa who came south from… well now I cant remember. Anyways, she set up with one of Rose’s boys and now theyve got a little girl.

Maggy Kent:
The other was born to the Sealys… They do leatherwork.

Gunny:
(I’m not paid to care, I’m paid to fuck shit up.)
GM:
^

Gunny:
(And I’m not getting paid anymore…)

  • Uriel begins to put a picture together of the nature of Hidden Creek., for a moment his smile fades, before returning again as he notices another person within sight. He finishes his route along the edges of the property, and comes up to the guards

Uriel:
“Hey guys, how’s it going?”

Sentry:
What can I help you with?

  • Egil nods slowly. “Can you make sure that I see them? The barna… children? Just to make sure they have what they need.”

Uriel:
“Nothing much, just saying hey. I’m not one for cooking, figured I’d see what you two were up to. Gotta be pretty boring watching over an old couple’s B&B with a few unarmed traders mulling about.”

Maggy Kent:
When the women hear that there’s a doctor in town id imagine we’ll have to bar the door to keep them away.

Sentry:
Far as we know you’re raiders playing nice. Till Jim tells us otherwise, you’re dangerous.

Egil:
Why the women?

Maggy Kent:
Oh, you know how mothers are im sure

Uriel:
“Is that the Mayor? And hey, I’m not faulting you guys, gotta be hard work keeping a little slice of normal like this. But the fact remains, you’re the ones holding the guns, not us.That’s besides the point though, was wondering if you two might want to pass the time with a little game of chance.”

Sentry:
Jim… sorry yah, Jim Ward, the old mayor.

Sentry:
Look, I appreicate the act, but you can drop it. I got a wife and kid up the road and im not gonna have them get carted off because I was playing cards with you.

  • Maggy Kent notices the form of Bernard lurking near the doorway

Maggy Kent:
Now here’s a man who knows the value of a good cook, I can tell.

Maggy Kent:
Let me fix you a salad or some honey bread.

Bernard:
Yes mam i do

  • Egil nods. “Oh, yes. Well that is ok. I have made an oath… and I will honor it.”

Uriel:
“Hey say no more, I don’t want to get anyone in trouble. How about this, if Jim says we’re good to go, you know where to come for a good game, maybe with a stiff drink if that’s available in town.”

Bernard:
Thank you

Sentry:
Sure.

Maggy Kent:
Ive got some fresh greens just ready for picking. I wont be a moment

Bernard:
I could use a decent meal, I think these guys have been serving boiled shoes and porcupines for the last few months

  • Maggy Kent exits through the back kitchen door

Uriel:
“Take care guys, and don’t work too hard,” Uriel says with a laugh as he moves off, “If you need me, I believe you know where I’m staying.”

  • Maggy Kent returns a few minutes later with an armfull of produce the likes of which you havent seen in nearly a year. Peppers, Tomatoes, and fresh cabbage.
  • Maggy Kent sets to work cutting up the salad

Bernard:
Wow, nice looking veg. No problems from radiation or anything around here?

Maggy Kent:
Not in these parts. Noone got sick here, though weve seen em pass through.

Bernard:
them?

  • Maggy Kent gets a distant look in her eye for a moment.
  • Uriel stops as he’s almost back to the house and asks the sentries, “By the by, did you see Mr. Kent come by? I meant to ask him about that shower I’ve heard about.”
    refugees from further up north. Closer to the bombs.

Bernard:
How long ago was this?

Sentry:
Couldnt tell you.

  • Uriel shrugs indifferently, nods to them again and makes his way inside looking for the old man

Maggy Kent:
havent seen one for months now… maybe three months or so since we seen one of them all sick.

Maggy Kent:
Wasnt much we could do for them but move them along.

Egil:
Move them along?

  • Uriel makes his way through the house looking for David
    GM:
    David has made himself scarce
  • Uriel gives up looking for the old man and starts looking for neccessities for the gravity shower
  • Bernard sits down at the table and waiits for his vittles
    GM:
    You gather your things and make your way out to the shower. It’s screened by a high wood box and sided with old tarps. The water is cold but refreshing.

Maggy Kent:
Here you are! I had some boiled eggs and pickles too if you care for them.

  • Maggy Kent sets out several dishes.
    You say to the GM: Am I tall enough to see over the top, at 6’4"? to see if anyone is watching
    Maggy Kent whispers: some of the field workers seem to watch from time to time… noone seems to be taking a hard look.

Bernard:
Seen any chinese or canadians round here?
GM:
You eat another great meal at maggy’s table and she busies herself with small talk. When Bernard mentions that he passed through before the war she warms even more to him asking about his memories of better times."

  • Uriel finishes his shower and towels off quickly before dressing and heading back inside the house
  • Egil remains quiet, reserved, but attentively listening to the conversations that flow around him.
    GM:
    The day passes slowly with small talk. Several times during the day a few people enter the building to haul the garbage away. They dont look as well fed or healthy as the locals youve met. When asked, maggie just says “Oh they’re just refugees trying to make their way here. We didnt need much help so they do what they can to earn their keep”

Bernard:
3,6,6

  • Uriel waits in the house, keeping an eye out for David from time to time
    David appears again near sundown, he is noticably reticent to talk again
  • Egil takes time at some point during the day to take a shower.
  • Bernard wanders the house after his shower looking out the windows and trying to remember the layout of the town
  • Uriel gets David aside at some point during the night and begins, “Hey David, I just wanted to say you don’t have anything to worry about from us, I know my saying that doesn’t mean it until the Mayor confirms it, but I felt it needed to be said. One of the guards implied he’d get in trouble playing cards with me, I’m not trying to get anyone in trouble.”
  • David Kent nods but says nothing
  • Uriel pats the old guy on the shoulder, “My lips are sealed, and I’ll leave it there. If you want to talk or have me help with that pump, just say the word, till then I’ll leave you to your own.”
    GM:
    So do you guys want to do anything special over the night?
    jered:
    set up a watch
    jered:
    4 hours on 4 off or whatever

Uriel:
I will casually look through the house, trying to find a radio, or parts to one I may jerry-rig
GM:
There are very few signs of technology remaining in this house outside of the old empty light sockets

Uriel:
(I suppose I will watch second)

Egil:
((watch sounds good))

Uriel:
5,8

  • Uriel covertly moves from bed to bed, waking the others quickly to have them ready. He then makes his way towards the stairs to get a better ear on the group

Uriel:
6,19,2

  • Bernard looks for anything that can be used as a weapon.
    GM:
    bernard arms himself with a candlestick and a chamberpot (half full!)
  • Egil stirs and looks around as well for something, blunt force trauma sounds useful.
  • Uriel waves the group back cautiously, he speaks very lowly, and keeps his face turned away from the stairs and guarded by a hand, “Maggy’s telling them we’re decent folk.” Uriel turns back to the stairs and listens in, trying to pick up what the pair of men are saying, or if David’s voice pipes up
  • Uriel inches away from the stairs and mimics his earlier position as he speaks again, in a similar tone as to before, “We’ve got a good report, but something’s definitely off about Hidden Creek.” He stops quickly and motions for everyone to head back for the time being. Speaking quickly once back away from the stairs and closer to the rooms, “I don’t know if the man with Gill was Mayor Ward, or this man called Bloom, we’ll find out soon enough I imagine, but let’s play everything slow right now.”
  • Uriel keeps an ear out to towards the stairs in case any footsteps start up them, as he speaks

Gunny:
indeed
GM:
You hear the front door close. Peering out the window you see the two men walk walk away together talking.

  • Uriel recounts what he heard to the group, and gives his earlier impressions regarding the need to sign out tools, the sentry being carted off for playing cards, and the general malnourished appearance of the field workers

Egil:
((pumpkin warning… 5 – 10))
GM:
The rest of the night passes uneventfully
GM:
Last watch sees people heading out to the field and another change of guards.
GM:
A soft knock at the door of your rooms announces a working party of refugees who collect dirty water and the chamber pot from the end of the hall
GM:
Everyone can make an awareness check at -3

Bernard:
Whoa, hold up there guys i need to use that one more time real bad before you run off with it!

Bernard:
just kidding. Thanks

Uriel:
3,18

View
Hidden Creek

Praetus has connected.
GM has connected.
Egil has connected.
Gunny has connected.
Gunny:
I’ll be right back

Uriel:
Colonel Klink
Egil:
((So… about me at 2013…))
Egil:
((Just to be open and transparent… I have very little desire to play the ‘numbers’/mechanics/system part of the game. Bores me.))
Egil:
((I really LIKE the story, however… ))
Gunny:
(back)
Egil:
((so… when it gets to the tedium… don’t be suprised if i fall asleep…))
Egil:
((I don’t mind others getting into it, i just don’t enjoy it as much… and get sleepy))
GM:
like I said, im gonna try to automate it a bit more
Egil:
((i heard you..))

Uriel:
(Are we using a map tonight)
GM:
Rumors of a small independant community have brought you to the outskirts of a small town called Hidden Creek. Before the invasion, the town sat along a small stream called Chanto Creek and was primarily a place for truckers heading between Anchorage and Fairbanks to refuel and grab a bite to eat. You arrive in the area of the town just prior to dawn. The weather is chilly but the sky is clear and the day should warm.
GM:
((by the way, ammo counting is now live… please track your ammo expendatures))
GM:
You are driving the HMMWV with its mounted 240G MMG
Egil:
((Who is YOU?))

Uriel:
((Do we go through our personal ammo first, or the group ammo)

  • Egil sits in the back of the humvee, a leatherbound book in his hand and a pencil. He’s making meticulous notes.

Uriel:
“Have we heard anything about this settlement’s temperment?”
GM:
As you crest a hill, you see the village in a dell between two ridgelines… lines of smoke issue from a few of the chimneys
Gunny:
“Major, did we plan to scout the village first? Can stop a couple clicks out and doc and I can sneak up.”

  • Egil looks up for a moment and then goes back to his notebook.
  • Uriel raises his nose to the air upon seeing the working chimneys. Sniffing lightly
  • Gunny keeps up on his search pattern with the 240G while waiting for an answer.
    GM:
    (Assuming its around 0600
    GM:
    )
  • The Colonel yes, very good, gunny. keep on the look out for any signs of commies. report back asap.
  • Gunny taps the humvee on the roof signaling the driver to pull off.

Uriel:
2,1

  • Egil slips his notebook away in a pack, pencil wrapped in a cloth, and then he checks his medi-gear, looking up again. “A willage?”

Gunny:
“Egil, I want to be oscar mike in fifteen after we stop.”
Gunny:
((brb))

  • Egil looks at Gunny. “Oskar who?” (The ‘ooo’ is very nordic sounding.))
    Gunny:
    “Thats ‘On the Move’ soldier.”
  • The Colonel steps out of the hmmwv and survey’s the town with his binoculars
  • Uriel puts the HMMVV into park and looks over the village from the driver’s seat. He speaks up though keeps his eyes fixed forward, “Anyone else smell the manure? We might have some farmers.”
    You say to the GM: anything of note? do i need to make some kinda check?
  • Gunny dismounts the machine gun and exits the humvee, the readies his gear, including his M40a3, spotter scope and ghillie suit
    Gunny:
    “It’ll bring new meaning to ‘in the shit’”
  • Gunny chuckles a bit
  • Gunny puts his ghillie suit on and double checks his ammo stores
    You say to the GM: no tracked vehcile indications? people moving about?
  • Egil shrugs at Gunny and continues about his methodical pattern of setting up his combat gear. “Jeg er ikke en av dine soldater, din jaevel.” He mutters half under his breath before sliding out of the vehicle.
    the from this distance and with the low light, its hard to see. certainly the smoke should indicate that there are people in the town

Uriel:
“I’d say we need to be cautious, these are farmers, who chop wood for heat. They’re probably armed.”

  • The Colonel stoes his binocs and turns to the gunny.
  • Gunny approaches egil “Alright doc, lets go, time to find some commies to fuck.”
    The Colonel:
    “The town clearly has people in it, but there’s not much to see. The fields are maintained, no people in sight.”

Egil:
I don’t fuck commies.

Uriel:
“I’ll park the HMMVV off the road if we want to approach on foot.”
The Colonel:
“Survey and report back asap. No engagement. No contact unless needed.”

  • Gunny begins the arduous process of humping to an area he can safely observe the village. “Colonel I’ll give you a sit-rep in 60 mikes.”
  • The Colonel nods
    Gunny:
    17,7,17,5
  • Gunny makes some idle chatter with Egil while hiking to the far outskirts of the town.

Uriel:
“So how do you want me to play it, if we meet some people?”
The Colonel:
You are wanderers, looking for work or food. No mention of affiliation. You are civiilians.

Uriel:
(I’m still in the humvee

Uriel:
)

  • Egil remains quiet and stoic as they do their recon work.
  • Gunny draws back to a spot that can’t be seen from the town, and pulls out his tactical radio. “Oden this is Reaper, standby for sit-rep.”
    The Colonel:
    “Oden, standing by.”
  • Gunny looks over to Egil “Keep your eyes on the village, and stay frosty.”

Gunny:
“Sir, it appears to be just a bunch of dirt farmers. On the road there is a check point just before the village, one tango with a rifle. Standing by for orders.”

  • Egil frowns slightly. “Frosty, I know.” He moves beside a tree, hunkers down and watches.

Gunny:
(brb)

Gunny:
(so its not a check point, more a foxhole

  • Uriel looks over to the Colonel, “Do we drive down and act the American heroes, or approach on foot?”
    The Colonel:
    “We go on foot. Let’s put the HMMWV in a more hidden area, then hump in.”
    The Colonel:
    “Reaper stand by for approach. ETA 20 mins.”

Gunny:
“Reaper copies all.”

  • Uriel drops the HMMVV into gear and hits the accelerator gently, slowly pulling the truck off the road into a small gully. He spends a few minutes tearing down limbs and laying them over the truck.

Gunny:
“Interrogative Oden. Do you want Doc to meet up with you while I remain on overwatch?”

Gunny:
(uses viking in place of doc
The Colonel:
“Reaper, A firm. Trade may be possible with his skills.”
GM:
A few minutes later, the hmmwv is concealed off the road and Egil has returned to the group

Gunny:
“Reaper copies. Over.”

  • Gunny approaches Egil. “alright viking, you’re heading to meet up with Oden, then to going into the village.”
  • Uriel finishes with the camo job and walks over casually to the Colonel, “They’re likely to be a bit jumpy, more so with us approaching armed. We’ll need to play it by ear, and try to appear ready only to defend ourselves, not looking for trouble.”
  • The Colonel grunts
  • Gunny draws up a range card with the entire village, keeping an eye on potential sniper positions, then takes a few minutes to dig a small hide and to camoflauge himself into the greenery.
  • Egil nods and smiles. “Maybe I can get a cup of coffee finally.”

Gunny:
“Coffee? I thought you Euro-fags drank tea, or piss. Some shit like that.”

  • Uriel checks the sidearm in his thigh holster, as well as his MP5 before adjusting his crotch blatently
  • Egil looks over at Gunny for a moment and then looks back. “Just what I thought.”
    As you approach the village you can see several of the features layed out for you in the SITREP. As you approach within 100 yards of the OP you hear a long blast of a whistle.
    The farmers in the fields drop their tools and run for the town

Uriel:
“Skiddish, real skiddish.”
The Colonel:
“Nice and friendly everyone, nice and friendly.”

  • The Colonel waves his hand in the air towards the op
  • Gunny watches as the villagers flee and mutters about lilly-livered fucks.

Uriel:
“I’m all about the hearts and minds.”

Sentry:
HALT! Dont Move!

  • The Colonel comes to a stop and nods to Uriel
  • Gunny lines his crosshairs on the sentry and waits for the signal

Sentry:
What is your business?

  • Uriel stops moving foward and puts out his upturned palms showing he’s empty handed, “We’re just coming through, was looking to see if we might be able to trade. We’re not looking for trouble.”
  • Egil keeps his hands clear of his weapons. He plays attention as he walks along, considering the crops the farmers were working on .
    GM:
    now that you guys are a little closer it seems like they are growing some sort of wheat or long stemmed grain.

Sentry:
Stay where you are! Some people will be coming to talk to you soon! Dont make any sudden moves!

  • Gunny taps his radio, “Spook do you copy, just nod if so.”
  • Uriel nods slowly as he talks to the Sentry, “Understood, we’ll be right here.”

Gunny:
“There are a number of fresh tangos with rifles gathering in the village. Stay frosty.”

Egil:
11,19

Gunny:
?

  • Uriel turns his head to the Colonel and Egil, speaking softly, “Let’s keep our senses, hopefully we haven’t walked into a trap.”
  • The Colonel nods and places his hands on the but of his front slung right
    The Colonel:
    rifle
  • Gunny taps radio “Spook, these people don’t seem to be more than organized hill-billies, still may be hostile though.”

Gunny:
(Going to smoke quickly)

  • Uriel turns back to the Sentry slowly, nodding slightly in the same manner as he had before. before speaking, “What’s your name?”

Sentry:
Just stay there quiet stranger. Someone will be there in a sec
After about five minutes of waiting Gunny H reports a group of about ten armed men approaching from the village.

  • Egil smiles as he looks back. “A good lucking crop. You are fortunate.”
  • The Colonel waits in as nonthreatening a manner as possible
    Soon you can see them yourself. 10 men with a wide range of rifles, some assault wepaoons mixed in
  • Uriel speaks softly again to his companions, “This could go downhill fast, be ready.”
  • Uriel turns to the sentry, “The trading party looks well armed.”
    As they get to within about 20 yards, they stop. The men seem nervous but none of them is actively pointing a weapon at you

Kevin Gill:
What’s your business here strangers?

Uriel:
“Hey there, we’re just moving south, looking to trade or barter for supplies as we go. We figured we’d see if your village might be interested.”

  • Egil nods, still smiling. “What I would give for a hot cup of coffee…”

Kevin Gill:
If you’ve come to trade we’ll be happy for it. If you have some mischif in mind, youll be sorry for it.

Kevin Gill:
Name’s Kevin Gill. Mayor Ward is not available until tomorrow and I am not authorised to negotiate with outsiders.

  • Uriel claps his hand on Egil’s shoulder, “This here is Egil, over there, we call him the Colonel, and my name’s Uri. No mischief here, just men like yourselves, trying to survive.”

Kevin Gill:
We will put you up, feed you and allow you to recover a bit before any talk of trade. You’ll all have to come into town but you have to either leave your weapons outside town before you enter.
GM:

  • Uriel looks to the others, “That’s very generous, leaving our weapons though? That’s a pretty big sign of trust.”
  • Egil looks over at Uriel and then back at Kevin Gill. “Could I offer something?” His scandinavian accent is pronounced, but he’s understandable.
  • Gunny wishes he could reap lips

Kevin Gill:
We cant be too careful these days. I let you leave your weapons outside town so that you know we wont keep them. Those are our rules. We cant risk you starting a firefight in town so thats the way its gonna be

Uriel:
“True enough… these are dangerous times. If you can give me your word that our trust won’t be abused, Kevin, then I think we’ll accept.”

Egil:
Mr. Gill, I am a doctor. Perhaps you would be let me treat your village?

Kevin Gill:
I cant negotiate but im sure the mayor will be happy to have a doctor in town.

Kevin Gill:
You have my word that if you cause no trouble, youll have none

Egil:
I don’t mean for you to negotiate. I only want to offer my services to your people.

Uriel:
“Then we have an agreement.”

  • Uriel cautiously moves forward, his hands away from his weapons and extended forward in a handshake

Kevin Gill:
We will wait here while you stash your gear outside town. I give you my word we wont go looking for it later.

  • Egil looks back at Uriel. “A word with you?”
  • Kevin Gill walks forward and shakes Egil’s hand. his men seem nervous but a bit mroe relaxed.

Egil:
(switch order of that.))

  • Uriel steps back to Egil and turns slightly, “Hm?”

Kevin Gill:
Hmm?

  • The Colonel nods to Uriel.
  • Egil takes a few steps toward Uriel and motions him apart from the villagers. When they get to a fair distance, he says, “We should not go in. Better to wait until the Mayor returns.”

Uriel:
“I don’t like the idea either, but a free homemade meal sounds good. And I worry what it might tip off if we leave and come back.”

  • The Colonel turns to Mr Gill
    The Colonel:
    “Mr. Gill. Perhaps you could allow the doctor here to get a hot meal and Uri to accompany him. You’ll get to know us and I can return tomorrow when the Mayor returns. How doe sthat sound?”

Uriel:
“We can try and float the idea of coming back, see how they respond. But I imagine we’ll still have to leave our weapons behind when the Mayor is back.”

Egil:
((hey… need to deal with the dog… switch computers… need about 10 minute break))

Egil:
((ok??))
GM:
Our rules are not up for debate sir. We have to be sure that you arent a scouting party for a larger raid. No weapons, you all come in. Also no radios. Weve worked hard to survive here and we wont put our families at risk now.

Gunny:
((NOOOO))
Egil is disconnected.

Uriel:
13,14
GM:
what’s the verdict?

Uriel:
(I’d say tentatively go ahead with them, everything else at this point I think risks escalation)
The Colonel:
(fine)

Uriel:
“So you stay here while we go stash our weapons, then we head into town?”

Kevin Gill:
Thats right
The Colonel:
“Ok, back in a few.”

  • Uriel looks to the others and then nods, walking backwards for several paces before turning
    Egil has connected.

Uriel:
6,12,8

Uriel:
“I don’t like this anymore than you guys, but I think we’ve got to trust them. If they were after us they’d have probably just opened up on us back there and taken our guns. It reads clean.”

  • Gunny over the radio “Reaper, requesting sitrep.”
    The Colonel:
    “Reaper, Odin. Looks like we are going into town unarmed. No radios either. We’ll need you to maintain cover over us,”
    The Colonel:
    “The town’s mayor is returning tomorrow. If it looks like the civis are not letting us out by then, we’ll need some of your magic to get out.”

Gunny:
“Interrogative; whats your exit plan if the shit hits the fan?”

Gunny:
(need a beverage, brb)
The Colonel:
“Diversion if possible, force if necessary. It’ll be up to you to make that call.”
The Colonel:
“Make sure to watch the hmmwv”

Gunny:
“Reaper copies. Try to stay in the open, on near windows.”

Gunny:
(on = or)
you stash your firearms and radios in the vehicle and touch up the camo before walking back down the road where the men wait for you

Kevin Gill:
Im sure Mayor Ward’ll be happy that you chose to stay
The armed men form a cordon around you as you walk into the town itself.

Uriel:
(Note to self, not sharing my TP with Jered)
When you pass the first few buildings you can see that the inner buildings of the village lack the damage of the outer buildings. A few people com to their doors to watch you.
You are escorted to a two story stone building with a low stone fence. An older woman waits at the open green door.

  • The Colonel waves to the people in the windows.

Gunny:
(/me misinterprets the signal and opens fire on the people)

Gunny:
(Women and children first)

Maggy Kent:
Well hello there! Im Maggy and I guess youll be staying with me tonight! Ive got beds and some porridge with fresh perserves on if you’re hungry.
Ma’am
The Colonel:
“Much obliged, ma’am”

  • Uriel lowers his sunglasses, tucking the temple into the front of his shirt, “Nice to meet you Maggy, I’m Uriel. Some porridge sounds like it’d hit the spot right about now.”

Maggy Kent:
Just Maggie! Just Maggie! Come on in and freshen up! I have a shower out back if you’d like to wash up. Its cold but it does the trick.
GM:
Kevin interrupts…

Kevin Gill:
You are free to walk around in Maggie’s place, but you’ll go no further than her gate or you’ll makr yoruselves as hostile.

Kevin Gill:
(I got booted from vent, can you guys still read this?)

Gunny:
yes

Uriel:
(Yerp)

Kevin Gill:
ok then we’ll just keep going

Uriel:
“Bit of a leash.”

Kevin Gill:
makr = mark

Kevin Gill:
Now I need to search you to make sure you didnt try to smuggle in any guns or radios after what I asked. The faster we get it done, the faster you can get some food and wash the road off.

Uriel:
“You guys must’ve had some real troublemakers at some point.”

Kevin Gill:
11,9

  • Kevin Gill searches each of you in turn. Satisfied he tells maggy:

Kevin Gill:
Mayor wants the usual for them.

  • Kevin Gill turns to leave
  • Egil smiles generously as he nods to Maggie and others that he sees. “We appreciate your kindness. Grøtt would be good… Very good.” His v’s sound like w’s.
    All but one of the militiamen leave and go out to the main road through town
  • Uriel raises an eyebrow towards the old woman, “The usual?”

Maggy Kent:
Just good treatment! Nothing sinister in Maggie’s house, just a warm fire and a lazy husband.

Maggy Kent:
DAVID!

  • Maggy Kent snaps, totally out of character from her warm demeanor to you.

Maggy Kent:
DAVID WE HAVE GUESTS! GO MAKE UP 3 BEDS NOW!

Uriel:
20,7

  • Egil continues to look around. “Madam Maggy. Did they tell you I am a doctor? Maybe you have a room i could use to examine any of your villagers who need medical care?”
  • Uriel looks at Colonel and gives him a somewhat wary glance

Maggy Kent:
Well that’s the best news ive heard in a long while! A doctor! Im sure after Mayor Ward meets you tomorrow there’ll be a line out the door to see you

Uriel:
“Where is the Mayor?”

Uriel:
“Kevin never mentioned what he was off doing away from town.”

  • Egil nods. “It would be helpful to have a place cleaned before that lines starts.”

Maggy Kent:
Mayor ward is probably out on his farm right now, He usually comes in in the evenings for gossip and when he learns you’re here he’ll be here tomorrow morning bright and early
The Colonel:
“Have many visitors, Maggy?”

  • Maggy Kent leads you into a large dining room and begins laying bowls and spoons from a china cupboard on the wooden table

Maggy Kent:
Not too many these days im afraid. But they all want to come back for Maggy’s cooking I promise you that! I have the best garden in Alaska Im proud to say.

Uriel:
“How long have you all been here?”
You can all smell the porrige cooking in the other room.

Maggy Kent:
Since before the trouble. Town’s so small we just got ignored thank the Lord
The Colonel:
“Mr Gill mentioned some trouble with outsiders?”

  • Uriel sniffs the air expectantly and feels the rumble in his stomach. “That’s fortunate, would have been terrible if something happened to the state’s best gardener.”

Egil:
((10m warning for me))

  • Maggy Kent dissapears into the kitchen and comes back with a large pot steaming with hot cereal. Dissapearing again she returns with two small jars.

Maggy Kent:
Strawberry and raspberry grown right here in my garden. Bet you never thought you’d have jam again!
The Colonel:
The Colonel: “Mr Gill mentioned some trouble with outsiders?”

Maggy Kent:
Oh we’ve had our share of trouble havent we? Scavengers mostly. Come up from Anchorage looking for nice people to steal from. We hold our own though.

Uriel:
“Any news out of Anchorage? We don’t get to hear much.”

Maggy Kent:
Me neither! Roads arent safe anymore. Im not really the person to talk to about all that. The Mayor’ll surely know more.

Uriel:
“How’s one come to be Mayor here? Not that I’m looking for a new job.”

Maggy Kent:
Oh he was our mayor before the invasion, just kinda kept the job after. He’s got a good head for it I suppose.

  • Uriel begins to dig into his porridge, nodding in approval to Maggy

Egil:
((post a log))
Egil is disconnected.
GM:
It’s good. A little less refined than pre-war stuff but the best fresh food you’ve had in a while
The Colonel:
“Is everyone here a resident from before the war?”
GM:
Not everyone. There are a few refugees but they mostly work out on the farms
GM:
We help out where we can
The Colonel:
“Anyone ever choose to leave town?”

Maggy Kent:
Not that I know of! We’ve got it pretty good here I suppose.

  • Maggy Kent excuse me, Id stand here and chat all day but there’s work to be done.
    The Colonel:
    (pumkin at 11)
  • Maggy Kent bustles out of the room leaving more porridge for everyone in the pot.
  • Uriel glances around the room as he shovels more food into his mouth, leaning in somewhat conspiratorially, keeping his voice low, “She’s telling the truth about nothing sinister going on in her house, but I get the sense we’re not getting the whole story.”
    An older, harrioed looking man enters the room

David Kent:
Hello there, Im David, Ill show you to your rooms if you like.

  • Uriel glances up, “Pleased to meet you David, name’s Uriel, you’ve got quite a set up here.”
  • The Colonel nods
  • David Kent shows you to a series of upstairs rooms and the old bathroom which now houses a chamberpot.

David Kent:
Somone’ll be up in the morning to change the pot. If you need hot water let Maggy or I know and we’ll throw some on the stove for you

Gunny:
(well I’m off, night bitches

Gunny:
)
Gunny is disconnected.

Uriel:
“Will be nice to sleep in a real bed, and I’ll take some of that hot water to wash up.”

View
Chatanika Lodge

Silence had reigned at the Chatanika lodge for nearly two years since the winter of 2011 drove the owners south. The war had killed almost all memories of its existence. The cracked weather-worn red paint on the sagging eaves fluttering in the wind and the soft brushing of long untended grasses against the rusting hulks of old battered RVs had been the melody to which the endless empty days had progressed.

Now, a splintering thud of boots on wood sends the birds gathered in the trees lining the shattered asphalt lot into the air with a musical cacophony of protest. A second crash ends with the sound of splintering wood as the old battered door gives way and the large man in battered fatigues steps into the abandoned dining room.

Hardship and blowing cold have lined his face before its time and his beard grows thick and full, but his voice still holds some of the joy from years ago. “I was here a couple times back in the early 2000s. The owner’s wife, Shirley, made a mean batch of chili that could blow the frostbite right out of your fingers” he says almost to himself as his eyes scan the room and his memories add the sounds of clinking glasses and friendly voices. “They used to have a sled race here in the spring where people would race outhouses on skis down the hill. It was a gas.”

Glass and wood splinters grind together on the vinyl floor as the man’s companions enter the dim dining room. The man’s companions were both younger men. One was tall, dark haired and thin with a thick beard. He wore a battered leather jacket and answered to Uriel. The other who went by the name Egil was a tall and blonde, clean shaven but for a few days’ growth and bore rugged good looks that had served him well in another world. His toned, efficient movement spoke of his athletic training and his accent marked him a man far from home. Holding a compact but deadly looking submachine gun in one hand, Uriel pulled a flashlight from his belt as he walked through the shattered doorway. He spoke as he began to scan the room; “Unless you are going to make me a pot of chili I wish you’d just keep details like that to yourself Bernard. The owners must have left before the invasion. Look,” he said pointing to the empty tables, ”all the dishes are gone and everything is packed up orderly like they might come back some day.”

“They didn’t take everything, look there” said the blonde pointing to a cluster of small cylinders grouped on the bar that dominated the center of the darkened dining room. He strode across the dusty floor towards the objects, taking several of them in turn and shaking them lightly. “Salt and pepper. Mostly full, takke Gud.” He turned to the man in the battered fatigues; “When you were here before did you ever see a first aid kit or a medicine cabinet?”

“They had camping kits for sale in the general store through that door and I think they had a metal kit down here” the grizzled man replied as he leaned over the bar and fumbled with an unseen item behind the counter. “It’s mostly empty, just a box of aspirin.” “I’ll take whatever we can find” Egil said with a grim look on his face as the small box sailed through the air to his waiting grasp. He quickly unslung his backpack; it had cost him a fortune in the years before the war and his wife had chided him about the expense, but over the last year it had carried all the remnants of his former life in its cavernous interior and he had been glad for it.

Uriel continued through the dining room and into the darkness of the kitchen, the stab of light from his flashlight illuminating a narrow corridor as he advanced. Cautiously, he advanced into the unknown. His ears were open for any sound though he heard nothing but the occasional scuff of furniture as his companions searched the restaurant. His flashlight panned over the long abandoned prep line and across the dusty range and he wondered to himself if the kitchen used public natural gas or an on-site tank. He turned each of the knobs on the range and was rewarded by a gentle hiss. “Not at full pressure but maybe some we could siphon off” he thought to himself as the odor of rot caught in his nose. He quickly checked the refrigerator and found it empty before creeping towards the office door. Curled in front of a small potbellied stove was a desiccated corpse dressed in digital camouflage. Looking closely Uriel found a shoulder patch identifying the dead man as a member of the 297th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade of the Alaska National Guard.

Uriel rolled the corpse onto its back with his offhand revealing a severely corroded M4 carbine. The room told the story of the soldier’s demise to those who had eyes for it, and Uriel’s eyes were keen indeed. The soldier was wounded in the leg; a tourniquet around the leg had failed to stem the flow of blood from the wound as the faint outline of a stain in the dark carpet attested. Following the stain back to the broken window, Uriel could see that during the winter there had been a significant accumulation of snow and ice in the room judging from the mold and stains on the walls and floor. “Must have been here since before the main fighting stopped” he mused aloud as he removed the dog tags from the brittle corpse. “Specialist William Behner” he said softly as he turned the tags over in his hand. He tucked the tags into his pocket and went to work removing the dead soldier’s tactical body armor and boots. “Sorry Will, we’re gonna need these more than you.”

Piling up the vest and rotting boots he went to work on the M4, slamming the butt of the weapon against the ground to loosen the rusted receivers before pushing out the takedown pins and removing the bolt and buffer from inside the upper receiver and stuffing them into a leg pouch. He moved to the desk in the corner of the room, pulling the drawers open and rifling through their contents until the distant rumble of a diesel engine caught his attention. Running to the window, he stared out to the north quickly making out the outline of troop truck heading south towards the lodge. “Oh shit” he mumbled as he ran from the window and scooped the pile of salvage from the floor. He ran through the darkened kitchen towards the dim light of the restaurant.

“Well, there’s good news and bad news” said Uriel as his companions looked up at his hasty entrance. “The good news is I found Egil some body armor” he said as he dumped the armor to the ground in front of the blonde man. “The bad news is there is a Russian transport coming down the road and we are probably about to die.”

Bernard rushed to the window as Egil bent to pick up the offered armor. “Ugh” he said as he brought the armor to his face. “This smells like an abattoir, is it even safe to wear?”
“It’s probably best that you don’t know where I got it from and instead just put it on Sven. The Russians won’t stop shooting you because your armor stinks” Uriel replied.
“Ah shit… they’re slowing down” cursed Bernard as the whine of the diesel engine became louder and the crunch of gravel announced the truck’s turn into the parking lot of the Lodge. “Shit shit shit!” he said as he ran crouched from the boarded window. “We need to get out of here, NOW. “

The men ducked and began moving towards the darkened rear of the building. Outside, the slam of a tailgate and the staccato beat of boots landing one after the other lent urgency to their movements. They ran into the kitchen crouched and with as much silence as the old wooden floor of the dining room would allow. Each creak and groan of the floor amplified a thousand times in their ears. Afraid that their flashlights would give them away, they felt their way through the gloom using only the meager light flowing from the boarded windows.
“There used to be a back door…. Ah shit here it is..they nailed it shut.” Bernard regarded the door with hard look that even the darkness could not fully mask. “What now?” Asked Egil. “Now I’m going to have to knock it down… we won’t have long before they’re on top of us… Egil help me with this, Uriel I need you to make sure they don’t make it to us before we are able to smash this open.

Uriel slung his new boots over his shoulder and lifted his battle worn MP5-SD6 into his shoulder. “I’m not going to hold them all off with this thing but I’ll give them something to think about.”

“On three” said Bernard as he looked intently at Egil and squared his shoulder to the door. The Blonde doctor nodded and readied himself, his athlete’s muscles corded and primed for action. He closed his eyes for a moment and cast his thoughts far away across the land and sea. When they opened again there was nothing in them but the task at hand.

“One”
“Two”
“THREE"

The two men smashed into the door, the boards creaked and the jam splintered as the deadbolt tried to smash through the ancient wood. A commotion from the front of the building signaled the alarm of the Russian troops.

“Again! Hit it again!” Cried Bernard, all pretense of stealth vanished. He pulled his companion back and they readied themselves for a second desperate attempt.

Uriel flinched at the noise of the door but his eyes remained fixed on the entrance to the lodge. Outside he saw movement but he knew the small caliber of his weapon required him to wait for just the right moment to engage. Shadows crisscrossed outside the door they had opened only minutes before. Suddenly a man’s form rushed through the opening. Uriel tracked the form and found his mark. The silenced submachine gun clicked rapidly in a short burst and the form went down heavily. A second man was pushing through the doorway but a long burst from his weapon sent him scrambling for cover. “This is gonna get bad real fast guys.” he stated flatly.

“Now!” screamed Bernard and the two men charged the door again. With a smash, the door gave way and they burst into the light behind the lodge and tumbled to the ground surrounded by the wreckage of the door. From behind they heard a shout: “GRENADE!” and Uriel’s dark form darted through the now open doorway.

Though the blast was contained by the walls of the lodge, sound was overwhelming and the pressure wave rolled over them while bits of detritus pelted their backs. The sound of the detonation still ringing in their ears, they scrambled to their feet and ran towards the tree line after Uriel.

From behind them, the sound of weapons fire and suddenly the air was alive with the snap of live rounds passing them by inches. As they ran Uriel pointed to an off-white cylinder on the tree line in front of them. “It’s still got gas!” he shouted as he angled away from it. Bernard quickly changed his course and slid to a stop behind one of the cylinder’ stubby concrete legs, shucking his pack as he came.

“Keep them down for just a second!” he shouted as he rummaged through the backpack.

“Are you fucking insane?!” shouted Uriel “You are sitting under a bomb!"

“That’s why he needs us to cover him” stated Egil, as he brought his stolen assault rifle into his shoulder and took a single steadying breath as his body fell into its old routines. CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! The old rifle’s stamped parts worked with crude effectiveness and though it bucked like a mule each time, Egil’s trained hand guided it back to his point of aim at the edge of the lodge, blowing chunks from the wall and sending the pursuing troops into cover.

“Now! Go!” shouted Bernard as he stood and ran for the tree line, his companions in close pursuit. Just as the men cleared the trees, the harassing fire came again thick like a swarm of angry hornets and they ran like the devil himself was after them. “Go! Go! Go! Don’t stop! Shouted Bernard as they crashed through the bushes.

A snap and a spray of red shot from Uriel as he stumbled and then tumbled to the ground. His comrades lifted him and he weakly ran between them clearly favoring one leg.
Behind, a deafening thud announced the fruits of Bernard’s handy work as the cluster of pipe bombs he had jammed beneath the compressed natural gas cylinder detonated and showered the area with lethal fragments of metal.

The men ran and ran till they collapsed with exhaustion. Egil rolled Uriel onto his side and probed the wound with his finger as Uriel hissed in pain. “You’re lucky I’m almost dead or I’d murder you for that.

“You are not dying, stop making sounds like a woman” Egil replied. “It’s through and through and it missed the big artery by an inch or so” he said as he busied himself attaching a field dressing to the wound.

“No time to rest now“ Bernard grumbled as he pulled himself back to his feet. We have to get back to base and let the Captain know that the reds are back on the patrol. That little shitstorm we just caused is gonna have them swarming like ants on a picnic around here.

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.