Cold Season

The Best Laid Plans

Gunny Hernandez:
(going to use ’+

Gunny Hernandez:
’ for radio chat

  • Uriel hits the radio, “What’s the next step? Over.”
  • Gunny Hernandez pulls the mouthpiece out from his tactical vest and takes drink from his camelback. rendevous at camp.
    GM:
    Its night by the time that you reenter the camp
    GM:
    Egil and The Col. are standing near the HMMWV when you approach
    Gunny Hernandez whispers: so would it be a tactics check to plan the attack?
    You whisper to Gunny: I suppose we can do it that way. I could give you tips if you are successfull
    Gunny Hernandez whispers: do I have a better head count?

Uriel:
“Don’t like it all that much, but can probably be pulled off with the right plan.”
You whisper to Gunny: you saw about 14-16 individual guards. figure maybe 8 more on patrol and an unknown quantity inside the building
You whisper to Gunny: only about 6 on duty at any given time
GM:
2 on the roof and 3-4 at the rink

Gunny Hernandez:
“Guards should be able to be taken out quickly. There are only six or so on at a time.”

Gunny Hernandez:
“The real problem is going to be the patrols and the unknown number in the school.”
Gunny Hernandez whispers: what attribute for tactics?

The Col.:
We can easily assume that there are at least double the amount on guard duty at any given time inside waiting for their turn’

Uriel:
“What about having the humvee and machine gun pull up to the main entrance as the guards are taken out. Will still have to have eyes on any major secondary exits.”
You whisper to Gunny: cog

The Col.:
They’ll hear us coming down the road from a ways away. We might just want to hump in the 240 and a box of ammo and set up a base of fire if there’s a good spot for it
Praetus says to the GM: does the house I was in work

Gunny Hernandez:
“They do chase quickly, it would be fairly easy to draw them into a trap.”
You whisper to Praetus: the house walls will probably not stop a lot rifle rounds and the view is pretty obscured. if you could lure them into the neighborhood you could chew them up

The Col.:
How do we get them out without them forifying the hell out of the school while the patrol is out?

The Col.:
The other alternative is to infiltrate and see if we can dig something else up.

Uriel:
“Maybe start a fire at the far end of the residences, hole up in the other houses, and start target practice when they come to investigate.”

Egil:
It’s Dangerous. Whoever went in would be outnumbered and cut off.

The Col.:
Im just getting all the options on the table doc.

Gunny Hernandez:
« 1d20 = 2 »,« 1d20 = 18 »,« 1d20 = 7 »
Gunny Hernandez whispers: thats tactics, the 2 and the 7 succeed
You whisper to Gunny: A traditional assault would be suicide. A straight forward approach would have you establish a base of fire in a preset location and lure as many of the enemies into it as possible. Fire from multiple angles and attack with extreme furocity.
You whisper to Gunny: alternatively, did you guys get any landmines?
Gunny Hernandez whispers: I don’t, think we have some claymores

Uriel:
(am I supoosed to roll something?)
You whisper to Gunny: landmines are useful for this sort of thing. They are a great force equalizer
GM:
No, he just made a tactics roll for some assistance

Uriel:
(going to try and stick it out till 1230 or so, but between having to stand and the way the arm is tightening up, don’t think I can go past that)

The Col.:
I like the idea of luring them out with a distraction. We can bring them into a killing field and even the odds a little bit. We’ll just have to be aware that after the initial contact, that place is gonna be riled up like a nest of bees hit with a stick.

Uriel:
“Sounds good. What do we use for the distraction?”

Egil:
We could lite a fire like Uriel said

The Col.:
Or we could try to rabbit them. Bait them out with something that gets them riled up and eager to get out

Gunny Hernandez:
“AA couple of well placed bullets should be enough to smash open this piñata of badguys.”

Uriel:
“Will they bunker down with something like that? The ones inside.”

The Col.:
We dont want them anticipating attack though. We want them to think they have a target. Something they cant loose

Gunny Hernandez:
They wont know its more than a single shooter. I already slipped them once, they might think I’m back for revenge. Send out a larger search party."

The Col.:
But if we make them think they see a trader, or a settler they might rush out without thinking.

Gunny Hernandez:
“So who’s the merchant?”

The Col.:
Any Volunteers?

Uriel:
How do we go about pulling off the merchant look?

The Col.:
full pack, no big visable weapons.

The Col.:
we give them a big jucy target and have the target run for the hills

The Col.:
and right into our line of fire

Uriel:
“Who’s our best sprinter?”

The Col.:
I hesitate to use gunny but he may have the best chance of hiding after the initial contact

Uriel:
“I can do the running if needed, but I want to know my route blindfolded before we do it.”

The Col.:
What looked like the best place to spring the trap

Uriel:
“Preferably one that breaks up their line of sight on me as much as possible. Many heavy, solid objects to soak up the fire.”

The Col.:
Gunny?

Gunny Hernandez:
“I’d say have him appoach into from the north and try to draw them into the residential area to the northwest of the school.”

The Col.:
Hmm. Wasnt the cover thick there?

Gunny Hernandez:
“Or to the farmhouse to the east.”

Uriel:
“Tall grasses”

Gunny Hernandez:
“Its thick cover all around sir, we’re in the woods.”

The Col.:
What about to the north? We can have him come up on the road and rabbit onto the open area that is surrounded by trees for the old airstrip

  • The Col. begins to draw a sand table map of the area

The Col.:
if he can high tail it to the old building we can wait till they are in the field and lay down a raking fire from the trees on the western flank

Uriel:
“Anybody have some caltrops I can drop behind as I get to the party? Maybe slow down anyone trying to leave the dance early.”

The Col.:
I think if we can get gunny into a firing position we could call that an effective deterrant to premature capture

The Col.:
even better

The Col.:
we use this house here

Gunny Hernandez:
They shouldn’t get anywhere near him. With the fity cal, and my M40 firing at them.

The Col.:
Uriel rabbits down willow station road and when they get into the intersection we nail them from two sides

The Col.:
We have Gunny Hernandez in the woods with a los down the road so you are covered the whole time

The Col.:
as soon as he clears the railroad tracks, he ducks into the culvert and we open fire

Gunny Hernandez:
“If we do this right, we should be able to dig in, and fortify the MG nest.”

The Col.:
My thoughts exactly

Uriel:
“Gonna want your eyes on the guards, so I know it is when they see me

The Col.:
We’ll need him down the road to cover you

The Col.:
At the apex of the road

Gunny Hernandez:
“So thats plan A. What do we do if they don’t chase him?”

Gunny Hernandez:
“Or god forbid they manage to catch him.”

Gunny Hernandez:
(brb)

The Col.:
We’ll have to make sure that doesn’t happen. Id hate to have to trade away a heavy weapon to get you back Uriel

Uriel:
“Not sure that Yahweh accepts munitions.”

The Col.:
If they look like they are getting close, Gunny

The Col.:
‘ll send them straight to hell and we’ll take them the old fashion way

View
Hidden Creek, Breaking and Entering
Hidden Creek
  • Gunny Hernandez listens to Uriel’s comments nodding “That’s good. Some sort of diversion.” pauses for a moment to look back down at the make-shift model. “Though, I don’t like the idea of setting a building on fire, when we don’t know whats inside of it.”

Gunny Hernandez:
“For all we know its where they keep their supply of oily rags, or house slaves.”

Egil:
We cant risk hurting people who are there against their will.

Gunny Hernandez:
“Agreed.”

The Col.:
We could recon the buildings first. If nothing shows then we can get a closer look

The Col.:
If nothing else, we can establish an OP and get a better look at the school

Uriel:
“I’ve got binoculars.”

The Col.:
We need to be safe. Our medical supplies are limited. No more accidents.

  • Egil nods grimly

Gunny Hernandez:
“It wont happen again. I’m not sure how it happened in the first place. They must have gotten lucky.”

The Col.:
Extremely lucky if I know you

Gunny Hernandez:
“Well the doc ordered me to get some rest. So I’ll let you three split the watch.”

The Col.:
« 1d20 = 18 »,« 1d20 = 5 »

The Col.:
« 1d20 = 5 »,« 1d20 = 19 »

The Col.:
« 1d20 = 10 »,« 1d20 = 5 »

  • Gunny Hernandez gets up and head to his tent, hidden in the underbrush.

The Col.:
Make a fieldcraft roll with a -2 (lower result is better)

Gunny Hernandez:
« 1d20 = 8 »,« 1d20 = 16 »,« 1d20 = 19 »,« 1d20 = 15 »

Gunny Hernandez:
(need more rum drink, brb)

Gunny Hernandez:
(back)
Several patrols roll by during the course of the next few days. The first is in a pickup similar to the one used in the raid on Hidden Creek only this one is towing a fuel trailer. The second two patrols are both on foot but they talk loudly as they walk and you are able to hide long before they approach. None of the patrols manage to spot your camp
GM:
All three patrols are heading north. Only the truck returns on the road.

Uriel:
“Given those patrols, how many men do you think they have?”

Gunny Hernandez:
“They all look the same. Like fucking asian men.”

Uriel:
“Did anyone manage to hear anything they said?”

The Col.:
Typical young mens bragging. Nothing of tactical importance.

Uriel:
“So what’s the plan then? Let Gunny scout out some of the buildings?”

The Col.:
If he feels up to it.

Gunny Hernandez:
“I wanted to go back that day. Doc said no.”

Uriel:
“If you get a chance, without too much risk, I’d say also see if you can make out what’s in that pen you mentioned.”

  • Gunny Hernandez begins attaching flora to his ghillie suit.
    Several days pass before Jack feels like his leg is back to a point where it will bear weight well

Egil:
Now, dont twist too much or you’ll rip the sutures. Keep streching like I showed you.

Gunny Hernandez:
“You act like this is the first time I’ve been shot.”

Gunny Hernandez:
“It is, but its suprising none the less”

  • Egil shakes his head

Uriel:
“Hopefully we find a weakness, because it seems they’re going to have us outnumbered.”

The Col.:
Strategy over number.

The Col.:
numbers
GM:
Soooo?

Uriel:
(Dunno, not sure I should be going out and doing anything with him out scouting)

  • Gunny Hernandez having afixed a good collectiong of grass and branches to his ghillie suit sets off, again, to scout the elementary school

Uriel:
(Where are these buildings in relation to the link)

Gunny Hernandez:
(brb)

Gunny Hernandez:
(back)

Uriel:
(I will have my guns, radio, binoculars, lighter, multitool. Not sure if I’m missing anything)
Uriel makes it to the north side of willow road before he sees the houses lining the street. The forest here is thick and the untended lawns have reverted to natural fields in extremely short order.
No sign of life in any of the buildings so far.

  • Uriel crouches down amidst the unkempt lawns, looking out at the nearby homes with the aid of his binoculars
    the Homes are dark.

Uriel:
« 1d20 = 9 »,« 1d20 = 6 »,« 1d20 = 18 »
You see no movement

  • Uriel seizes the moment and scrambles across the road in a crouch, staying as low as he can without sacraficing too much speed.
  • Uriel looks through the windows of the nearest house, skulking around the perimeter like a burglar
    The house is derelict. The windows have been smashed in and there are massive holes in the interior walls. Debris litters the floor and the walls are stained with mold and sprayed with crude graphiti
    GM:
    you canstill type here ijust have my headphones off
  • Uriel taps his radio and speaks into his Agency issued covert headset, “Spook, reporting in. Northern crossing successful. First inspection lends itself to abandonment, will continue forward, not taking anything for granted. Spook, out, Over.”
  • Uriel turns towards the next house to the South, and scans the surroundings for any changes in the state of solitude. Once assured that he is still alone, he stalks through the tall grass and weeds like a lean Jewish puma
    All of the houses seem abandoned.
    They are all in a similar state of disarray
  • Uriel makes his way South until the end of the houses. With some care he chooses one of the houses with at least a second floor and a room with a southward facing window.
    Uriel makes his way into a dilapidated barn and climbs a rickety ladder into the loft.\

Uriel:
« 1d20 = 19 »,« 1d20 = 6 »
The view of the school to the east is mostly blocked by the thick copse of trees but with the binoculars Uriel manages to make out a series of lean-to hovels and cages inside the rink. Several people you cant get a good look at occasionally move slowly around the inside. The guard towers are manned by one guard and the rink is surrounded by barbed wire, presumably to keep the people inside.

  • Uriel taps his radio and reports what he sees about the rink.
View
Hidden Creek, Spray and Pray
Hidden Creek
  • Gunny Hernandez spends the morning cleaning and oiling his gun. Afterwhich he gathers his gear and enough food and water for the march.
  • Gunny Hernandez gathers his gear and meets the others in the Kent’s kitchen. “I’m about to set off to scout the school for bandits.” He spreads the maps that Egil found in the library across the table. “I’ll be headed south along this route.” he traces the route mostly following the woods just off the main road.
  • Uriel leans over the other side of the table, staring at the map and outlined route. “Alright, I think I got where you’re going if you radio for backup.”

Gunny Hernandez:
“I’ll radio in at 10:00 and 22:00. After two days you’ll meet up with me here.” points to the map at the meeting point.
GM:
Later that afternoon, Uriel and Steve Bloom continue their work repairing the motor for the hydrolic pump.

Uriel:
(hm, macro thingy isn’t there, what do I need to do for the rolls, just individual d20 3 times?)
GM:
« 1d20 = 3 »,« 1d20 = 15 »

Uriel:
« d20+mod = 9 + 0 = 9 »

Uriel:
« d20+mod = 3 + 0 = 3 »

Uriel:
« d20+mod = 1 + 0 = 1 »
GM:
After several false starts the hydrolic pump and its attached generator roar to life.

Steve Bloom:
Well, Ill be damned. I thought we’d never get this thing working again

Uriel:
“These older pumps can be a pain in the ass, but I think it’ll hold well enough for a good while now.”

  • Gunny Hernandez walks till he clears the tree line, then begins to run and shout a cadence. “Fired up! Feeling good! Here we go! Fired up! Feeling good! On the road! Fired up! Feeling good!”

Steve Bloom:
Yah. I suspec that if we can remain oppertunistic on parts I could get this thing running even better. Ill let Jim Ward know how you helped me here. I dont know if it’ll help you at all but maybe he’ll trade a little more fair. I think you’ve earned it.

Uriel:
“We also discussed a good drink, if it got running. Think I may need it before heading out day after next.”

Steve Bloom:
As I promised

  • Steve Bloom walks over to his toolbox and draws out a bottle full of amber liquid. As he draws closer you can see the name Glenlivet XXV on the label

Steve Bloom:
Ive been saving this for something special. Had it since before the war

Steve Bloom:
I figure this is the best news Ive had in years and I think we can seal the deal with a nip of this.

  • Gunny Hernandez runs for several hours. Stopping to take a drink of water every thirty to fourty five minutes.
  • Steve Bloom draws a small knife and cuts the foil wrapper. He pries the cork out and savors the smell of the liquor before offering the bottle to you.

Steve Bloom:
25 years in the barrel. Wont be getting too many more of these I think.

Uriel:
“I don’t remember the last time I’ve had a proper drink, and getting this old bucket going is certainly an occasion to celebrate.” Uriel takes the bottle and inhales deeply the aroma, “It’s a rare treat.”

  • Steve Bloom produces two small glasses and pours you each a dram.

Steve Bloom:
I can give you some water if you like but no rocks unfortunately

Uriel:
“Neat is my preference.” He raises the glass and takes another draw from the nose, savoring it fully.

  • Steve Bloom takes a nip from his glass and closes his eyes.

Steve Bloom:
I just want to hold onto this moment for a while. Back here in the garage. Hard day of real work behind me, great drink in my hand. I could almost forget that ive got russian warlords to the north and south and bandits all around.

  • Uriel nods to Steve, raises his glass appreciatively, and quietly says with irony, “Na Zdorovie.”
  • Steve Bloom raises his eyebrows and takes another sip

Uriel:
“Brings me back to the last time I was home in Brighton Beach.”
you enjoy a fine evening with Steve Bloom remenicing and watching the farmers and refugees working the fields from the parking lot of the gas station.
Several days later, many miles away:

Gunny Hernandez:
(Good ol’ fashioned southern afternoon. Really really ol’)
The mist was still heavy on the ground when Gunnery Sergeant Jack Hernandez started the third day of his March. The chill was still being held at bay by the uncharacteristically long autumn weather but the days were getting noticeably shorter and he knew that soon, traveling alone out here would mean death. He had spent the night in the hollow formed by the low bows of a Fir tree and it had been enough to keep him almost comfortable. He touched the length of braded paracord that hung from the shoulder of his ghillie suit, carefully counting the beads which represented his pace count. He had made good time, nearly 30 miles a day over rough ground. And though he was tired from the pace of his march, by his estimation, his camp should have been made within a couple kilometers of the school that Jim Ward had told his team about. But more than that, he knew he was close because he was a trained observer, and last night he had heard the distant sound of an engine. The thick trees worked in his favor: Even he could only see a short distance so he should have been nearly invisible from the highway. He walked along the tree line attempting to avoid the thick underbrush until he got a little closer to the target area. Eventually, the trees thinned and he started to see the shattered remains of buildings. There had been fighting here. The bridge over willow creek had been demolished, but someone had placed a series of logs over the fractured concrete to allow the brave or fool hearty to move across the shallow river in a vehicle. Eschewing the bridge, Hernandez traveled downstream until he was out of sight of the bridge before crossing the ice cold water at a shallow ford.
As he continued south, he began to see more signs of civilization; clusters of buildings surrounded by high meadows of weeds, mangled street signs, and even the burnt wreck of an old car. Finally he came upon the remains of a civilian airfield choked with underbrush so thick it nearly concealed the fact that several light aircraft sat on the runway, waiting for pilots who would never return. He crept towards the empty hanger and concealed his pack beneath some bushes
He drew his rifle from its protective canvas bag and began to drape some local flora from the thick strands of jute which draped his body and weapon. After an hour of work he was satisfied with the result and began to stalk forward, moving now on his hands and knees or on his stomach if he felt the hair on his neck rise.

  • Gunny Hernandez mutters"¡Odio el frío!" as he attaches brush to his ghillie suit.
    The day was nearly half over when the building finally came into view. The old school was low slung in the fashion of the area. A single story with brown walls and a sloping red roof with an angle steep enough to shrug off the snow deposited over a long Alaskan winter. Now though, he could see that someone had sandbagged an observation post onto the crest of the roof facing the road.
  • Gunny Hernandez immediately stops and goes flush with the ground as he sees the fortified position.

Gunny Hernandez:
« 1d20 = 17 »,« 1d20 = 15 »,« 1d20 = 16 »,« 1d20 = 19 »

  • Gunny Hernandez (is bad at this)
    As Gunny moves through the treeline, the guard on the roof who had been partially concealed by sandbags stands and points a pair of binoculars in the direction of the trees. A second man stands and shoulders a rifle.
  • Gunny Hernandez keeps completely still as he sees the motion behind the sandbags.
  • Gunny Hernandez waits to see if there is any other alarm around or inside the school.

Gunny Hernandez:
« 1d20 = 18 »,« 1d20 = 5 »
GM:
Ignore that ^

Gunny Hernandez:
(ok)
The man with the binoculars points in your direction and the second man fires a burst of automatic rifle fire at the area you are in.
GM:
« 1d20 = 2 »,« 1d20 = 8 »
GM:
« 1d6 = 4 »,« 1d6 = 1 »

Gunny Hernandez:
« 1d20 = 1 »,« 1d20 = 17 »
Only his intense training keeps him from crying out as one of the rounds impacts his left thigh.

Gunny Hernandez:
(I’ma kill all these mother fuckers)

Gunny Hernandez:
(shoot me in the leg, I use that shit for walking)
GM:
(moderate wound to left upper leg
GM:
)
You see the man with the binoculars gesturing over the edge of the roof to somone you cant see

  • Gunny Hernandez begins to skull drag back into the treeline.

Gunny Hernandez:
« 1d20 = 13 »,« 1d20 = 14 »,« 1d20 = 12 »,« 1d20 = 13 »
Your pulse is thundering in your ear as you begin to crawl away from the treeline. To your trained ears you sound like a herd of elephants crashing through the bush. Even with all your experience, you struggle to maintain your cool as you feel the blood from your wound begin to soak the leg of your ghillie suit.
You hear shouting from the buildings behind you.
Several gunshots sound but the fire is so general as to be ineffectual
The yelling begins to draw closer.
GM:
What do you want to do
GM:
?

Gunny Hernandez:
(brb)

Gunny Hernandez:
« 1d20 = 1 »,« 1d20 = 6 »,« 1d20 = 14 »,« 1d20 = 15 »
three men appear at the treeline but they seem hesitant to enter. After a short search you hear one of them call that they found the blood where you were hit. They discuss the blood for a few moments before one of them opines that they must have shot a pig.
After a heated argument, the three men begin to gingerly move through the thick wood, searching for the wounded animal.

  • Gunny Hernandez crawls to the best hiding spot he can see in his imediate vicinity pulls out his pistol and keeps it ready while waiting for the search party to pass.
    One of the men passes within just a couple feet of you.

Bandit 3:
« 1d20 = 10 »,« 1d20 = 7 »

Gunny Hernandez:
(if I had enough skill I’d ezio this guy.)

Bandit 3:
I dont see a fucking thing.

Bandit 1:
They hit something. You saw the blood… keep looking. Im hungry!

Bandit 2:
If its a fucking russian and he gets away we are gonna be in deep shit!

Bandit 3:
It wasnt a russian. Who get’s shot and dosent shoot back? It dosent make any sense. It was a fucking pig i’m telling you.

Bandit 2:
If it was a pig you better find it is all im saying!

Bandit 2:
« 1d20 = 15 »,« 1d20 = 3 »

Bandit 2:
« 1d20 = 5 »,« 1d20 = 16 »

Bandit 2:
The men search for several minutes but somehow they miss you. As they begin to make their way back towards the buildings, You allow yourself your first deep breath in almost a half an hour.

Gunny Hernandez:
(Going to grab a drink)

Gunny Hernandez:
« 1d20 = 8 »,« 1d20 = 5 »,« 1d20 = 20 »
Creeping slowly, you make your way back to your pack and although the pain in your leg is intense, you shoulder your supplies and limp several kilometers back to the rally point. When you arrive you find the HMMWV pulled off the road in a copse of trees andcovered in a camo net

  • Uriel raises his gun briefly at the noise, then lowers it when he realizes that it’s only Gunny. A few moments go by before he notices any limp or strain

Gunny Hernandez:
“¡Fucking putos! They shot me, in my fucking leg!”

Uriel:
“What?”

Uriel:
“Did one of your relatives get married?”

Gunny Hernandez:
“What this shit are you talking about? Where is the doc?”

Egil:
Im here

Gunny Hernandez:
“Oh good. Then you wouldn’t mind taking look at this bullet wound.”

  • Egil rushes from the truck with his pack in hand. As he appraches he guides gunny insistantly to the ground and has him lean against his pack as the doctor examines the sodden field dressing and the wound underneath

Uriel:
“How’s it look?”

  • Gunny Hernandez as the doc inspects his bullet wound “There were five of them, didn’t get a chance to observe them very long. So there might be more.”

Egil:
It looks bad but the bullet seems to have passed through without hitting the bone or any arteries. You are a lucky man.

  • Gunny Hernandez continues to fill them in on the details that he was able to pick up.
  • Egil washes the area with water from his canteen and then swabs the area with alcohol. Gunny Hernandez draws a breath between gritted teeth as he continues his description.

Uriel:
“First thing that comes to mind is repurposing Hidden Creek’s refugee labor into tunnel builders, and we’ll come at them like the VC.”

Uriel:
“Barring that, I’m out of ideas.”

The Col.:
The structure you described on the north side is interesting

The Col.:
You said it had towers around it. They must be keeping something or someone inside.

  • Gunny Hernandez nods “Aye sire, some sort of slave pens.”

The Col.:
Maybe that’s where the missing kids have gotten off to.

Gunny Hernandez:
“I didn’t see any kids but they could working fields or like Uriel said, building tunnels.”

The Col.:
It seems like a lot of work for a bunch of knucklehead bandits. They steal what they want.

Uriel:
“Do we need another look you think? To get a firmer idea of what we’re up against?”

Gunny Hernandez:
“More intelligence is never considered a bad thing.”

The Col.:
They were on the ball enough to hit the Gunny and that’s a feat I havent seen much of.

The Col.:
How long is he going to need doc?

Gunny Hernandez:
“Though we have to note that they’ll be more alert now, they think it was a Ruskie.”

Gunny Hernandez:
“I believe it was panic fire, they didn’t know what they were shooting at sire. Just some damn bad luck.”

Gunny Hernandez:
“Truely shoot first, ask later.”

Uriel:
“How do we go in then? Clandestine, or shock and awe?”

Egil:
In two days, If I can keep him off the leg for that long, He should be fit enough to continue unimpared.

The Col.:
Can we count on you to not get yourself in trouble for two days?

Gunny Hernandez:
“My trigger finger is fine Colonel. I’d provide fine fire support, but if you order me to wait, I wait.”

The Col.:
Id rather have you at 100% so you can pull my ass out of the fire if needed.

The Col.:
Two days then.

Uriel:
“Rough it out here, or head back to Hidden Creek?”

The Col.:
No sense wasting the fuel. We’ll manage here.

View
Hidden Creek, World Needs Ditch Diggers, too.
Hidden Creek
  • Gunny Hernandez meets Keving Gill outside his house at the time specified by his wife.
    GM:
    Gil meents you outside. He’s wearing an old realtree hunting jacket and a beaten baseball cap. Your breath is heavy in the air tonight and the cool air bites right through your clothes.

Gunny Hernandez:
“Evenin’ mister Gil. Shall we get going?”

  • Kevin Gill grunts by way of a response
  • Kevin Gill heads out to the field where the fight took place yesterday
  • Gunny Hernandez sighs, shaking his head. Then checks the bolt action and sights on his rifle before following Kevin. “So mister gil, what did you do before the war?”

Kevin Gill:
Dosent really matter does it. We aint going back to that,

Gunny Hernandez:
“Suppose it doesn’t. Just wondering what qualified you to be head of security.”

Kevin Gill:
I was the only one who gave a shit and Ward knew it. All these farmers want to do is look after themselves.
You approach the guard station in the field. The pit is shallow and wide, allowing the guard to lie down for the long watch As you approach the guard stands and welcomes you quietly.

  • Gunny Hernandez looks at Keving Gill and quietly speaks, “These foxholes need to be deepened.”

Sentry:
Any deeper and its hard to see out the edge while you are lying on your stomach

Gunny Hernandez:
“You shouldn’t be lying dow, you should be standing, or atleast crouching.”

You spend a few minutes describing how to reenforce the fighting position. In the end, the argument that he could be run over in the current position and that the shallow pit is a giant grenade trap wins the day. Gill snaps at the man,,,

Kevin Gill:
Get a shovel after your shift and bring it up. We can dig it down in the morning.

  • Gunny Hernandez says to gill as they walk away from the sentry, “It should be done with all of them. Afterwards, you should find your men are falling asleep less while on watch.”

Kevin Gill:
Ill make sure it gets done

Kevin Gill:
They’ll bitch and moan about it but maybe sitting up will keep them awake

Gunny Hernandez:
“How are your men with their rifles?”

Kevin Gill:
This is Alaska. Most people here grew up with a rifle in their hands even before things got bad

Kevin Gill:
Couple of them could use some work.But its hard to justify shooting off what little ammo we have just for practice

Gunny Hernandez:
“How many of them have killed a man? Bandit or otherwise.”

Kevin Gill:
Weve had a couple skirmishes to get them used to the idea of killing. War and bandits have a way of turning peoples attitudes about death pretty fast

Kevin Gill:
I think so

Gunny Hernandez:
“Well, if you don’t feel they need instruction, I’ll defer to your judgement.”

Kevin Gill:
Its not that they dont need it. Its that we cant just truck down to the Dicks sporting goods and buy a crate of ammo

Kevin Gill:
Not to mention every time we shoot a round, we make noise. I dont want to attract attention.

Gunny Hernandez:
“Given todays events, I’d say you already attract attention.”

Kevin Gill:
From those scum yes

Kevin Gill:
But the russians down in anchorage? Or the warlords up north/

Kevin Gill:
If they roll an APC down here they could destroy this whole village

  • Gunny Hernandez shrugs. “Guess I can go scout the school, seeing as you don’t need any help in the town.”

Kevin Gill:
Mayor ward seems to think it will help

Kevin Gill:
But I think he’s more interested in a strike than a scouting mission

Gunny Hernandez:
“Would you have your men go up against a force that you didn’t know how large or well equiped it was?”

Kevin Gill:
I wouldnt send these farmers up against anything that didnt involve protectin their own homes. They arent soldiers. They are just yokels with enough smarts to point the right end of the gun towards the enemy

Gunny Hernandez:
“Well I’m not going to send anyone into a situation where they’re completely blind.”

Kevin Gill:
I suppose

  • Kevin Gill shows you around to the two other guard positions
    One of the two remaning positions is on the nw edge of town along the river overlooking the bank. The second is to the south of the road near the bridge

Kevin Gill:
You gonna stay out here all night? I usually just walk the rounds till dawn

  • Gunny Hernandez having completed the patrol with Gill, makes his way back to the Kent’s house to get a few hours of rack time before begining the day.
    The next morning
  • Uriel wakes slowly and goes about his early morning routine
    Maggie has eggs and ham ready for you when you come down for breakfast
  • Uriel makes his way downstairs, feeling somewhat more refreshed and greets Maggy with a warm gesture
  • Gunny Hernandez cleans and oils his rifle before joining the others at the table for breakfast.

Maggy Kent:
Good Morning! Any plans for the day?

Uriel:
“Think I’m going to take a look at fixing the hydraulic pump.”

  • Gunny Hernandez looks at Egil, “Did you find maps of the area around the school?”

Egil:
I found an old atlas which showed where the town was. Nothing close up

Gunny Hernandez:
“Thats even more reason to scout the area before we decide on a course of action. With the Major’s approval I’ll set out at mid day, it’ll be at least a two day march.”

The Col.:
Just be careful

The Col.:
Dont take any risks

The Col.:
If you get made, Exfel immediately. Use your radio at 1900hours if you need help. Ill turn our MRC 113 on at that time every day

Gunny Hernandez:
“Aye sir”

Uriel:
“Will be nice to have a solid idea of what we’re being asked.”

  • Gunny Hernandez looks to Maggy, “Do you have any blank paper and pens laying about?”

Maggy Kent:
I have some pencils and some old letters you can use the back of.

Maggy Kent:
if that will work

  • Maggy Kent walks out of the room and returns in a few minutes with the pencils and paper

Gunny Hernandez:
“Whatever you can find, and as much as you are willing to spare.”

Uriel:
“Well, a meal like that to begin the day is a good start towards a long day of wrenches.”

Maggy Kent:
Im sure steven will be happy to hear that

View
Hidden Creek, Domestic Abuse
Hidden Creek

GM:
When you come to the small shed housing the pump generator you immediately see the problem. The generator has been stripped down and will need parts to function again

GM whispers: oops. well You realise that you probably have the parts at base. Alternately you might be able to strip parts off some of the vehicles parked in front of the Bloom’s house
You say to the GM: What about the raider’s truck
GM:
perhaps
GM whispers: you can make a mechanics (AWA) test to see if you can strip the vehicle for parts to fix the generator

  • Gunny Hernandez wanders down the street looking for Kevin Gill, actively scanning for any signs of danger.
  • Uriel turns to Bloom, “So the pump generator looks like it’s been through some kind of salvage operation. I can maybe see about the raider’s truck if I can strip any parts off that, but if I can’t, it’ll definitely need parts from somewhere.”

Uriel:
1,19,15

Steve Bloom:
We should push the truck out of the field and onto the pavement before the farmers get the same idea and strip that truck down for traktor parts

Uriel:
“Don’t suppose you guys are hiding some oxen or some other beasts of burden for just these occasions?”

Steve Bloom:
Hmm.

  • Steve Bloom motions to a boy standing near the rollup door of the station

Steve Bloom:
Jimmy go down to Ray Manizic’s place and tell him to bring two of his big drafts down ASAP. But tell him to be quiet about it. Go now!

Uriel:
“The horses a big draw around town?”

Steve Bloom:
Small town.

Steve Bloom:
Nothing stays a secret in a small town.
GM:
As the boy leaves you make your way down into the field and up to the raider’s truck. You put the battered pick-up into neutral and start pushing. You’ve made it nearly 100 feet through the soft soil before the Horses arrive

  • Uriel wipes his brow with his sleeve as he eases off pushing and more or less leans against the pick up. “Well that’s a welcome sight.”
    GM:
    In short order youve lashed the truck to the horses and have pulled it to the service station. Once there you back the truck into the unoccupied bay and begin stripping it down for parts
    GM:
    It’s early evening by the time you look up from your task and realise that you have a small but serviceable pile of engine parts.
  • Gunny Hernandez takes mental note of the number of gingers he see while wandering the streets of bacon town.
    GM:
    (10 units of small mechanical parts)
  • Uriel takes a quick inventory of the assembled parts and goes through a mental checklist for the pump generator
    You say to the GM: figuring if I have enough to fix it
    GM whispers: should be unless you fail
  • Uriel looks up towards the sky, then glances down at his watch. “Think this might be something to tackle tomorrow, been a long day.”
  • Steve Bloom wipes the sweat from his face.

Steve Bloom:
Good to have a days work in though

Steve Bloom:
Meet you down here in the morning?

  • Steve Bloom Begins gathering up the peices
  • Uriel nods, “Sounds like a plan. Hopefully by lunchtime we’ll have made some headway.”

Steve Bloom:
Right. Thanks for the help.

MEANWHILE

Uriel:
“Anytime.”
Egil has connected.
GM:
Gunny Hernandez walks around the town for about an hour before being directed to a amall neglected looking brick house. It looks as though the people living here have little time or patience for either growing things or trimming them back. Metal shutters and a security gate indicate the owner’s concern for security, however.
GM:
You walk up to the front door and after several knocks you are greeted by a nervuos looking woman who tells you that Keven is sleeping and will usually be up in the late afternoon.

Gunny Hernandez:
“I see, its good to know that the town’s security plays second fiddle to nap time.” pauses a moment before walking back down the path “He knows where he can find me when he’s ready to get to work.”
GM:
The woman looks as though you hit her before gathering herself and quickly saying “K-Kevin stays up every night to help the watch! He takes it very seriously!” She backs away from the door, half expecting you to barge in.
GM:
You can be wherever you want this afternoon. Youve been given free reign of the town, though the watch still eyes you with some suspicion. Fero is working with Steve Bloom, the husband of the Nurse who helped you

Gunny Hernandez:
“WHere do they watch the perimeter at night?”
GM:
Kevin walks around and makes sure the men on duty are paying attention and not sleeping. Its a very important job.

Gunny Hernandez:
“What time does he start his rounds?”

  • Egil has cleaned up the nurses office at the gradeschol. While he was so engaged, he asked a couple people to spread that word that he has “opened the clinic” for the afternoon and is willing to talk to anyone interested in an exam or consultation.
    GM:
    Very shortly there is a line of people out the door waiting to be seen. The people are, in general, in very good health considering the circumstances.

You say to the GM: can I retroactively ask Bloom where I can find a drink?
GM whispers: some of the farmers make whiskey from corn mash, but Steve says if you get that generator working tomorrow, he’s got something special for you.

  • Egil grows more and more cheerful as the afternoon wears on, almost as if the open clinic gives him energy rather than takes it. He is especially good with kids, putting them at ease and taking time to coach them.

After a long day of work, you return to Maggie’s boarding house where you wash up and get a hearty vegitable stew for dinner

Uriel:
“Been a long day. Tomorrow might turn out to be longer, going to try and put a pump generator back together.”

Maggy Kent:
Steves been working on that one for a while now. Maybe if he gets it working he can fix up a few of the old trucks for harvest time

Uriel:
“Gonna give it a shot. Can’t make any promises, it’s pretty busted up.”

Maggy Kent:
Youve been nothing but good news for this town. Im almost afraid for the other shoe to drop.

Uriel:
“Who knows what will happen with that school.”

Maggy Kent:
It just seems so dangerous. The raiders havent taken anything big in months. I dont know why you have to go. If you just stayed with us we’d be as secure as we need.

  • Maggy Kent looks at you hopefully

Gunny Hernandez:
“If we stayed here, who would help the other towns that need our help too.”

  • Maggy Kent looks disappointed

Maggy Kent:
Yes, I suppose there are others who need you just as much as we do.

  • Gunny Hernandez pauses from his meal and looks to Maggy, “And truth be told, your town doesn’t have it nearly as bad as some that we’ve seen.”

Maggy Kent:
Oh! well, I guess I hadnt really thought of it. I mean, if we can make it I figured everyone… well…

  • Maggy Kent turns and walks out of the room into the kitchen

Gunny Hernandez:
“We’ll be here for a time.”

  • Gunny Hernandez finishes his meal and head to bed early.

Uriel:
“Eventually we hope to get back to friendly territory. Where we’ve been, and what we’ve seen might help in the effort.”

Maggy Kent:
We havent heard anything from down south in months, even on the shortwave.

Uriel:
“Same, but something’s still got to be there. They’ve got contigencies. Someone is trying to put the pieces back together.”

View
Hidden Creek, One Pump Chump
Hidden Creek

Uriel:
“Any gas stations near Willow Elementary that might not be dry?”

Maggy Kent:
Most of the Matsu Valley has been pretty dangerous since the Russians pulled back to Anchorage
GM:
The Matsu valley runs north and east from Anchorage to near fairbanks. You are currently in it.

Uriel:
“Those raiders came in a truck. Gas is becoming a luxury that isn’t easily sqandered.”

Maggy Kent:
There are a bunch of old stations along the highway, I guess I just always assumed that someone had already stolen the gas

Egil:
They might have stolen it.

Uriel:
“Will be easy to see if any of them have gas. They’ll most likely be guarded if they do.”

  • Maggy Kent crosses her arms in front of herself.

Maggy Kent:
Aweful people

Maggy Kent:
Is there anything else I can get for you boys? I have some work to do in the garden if we want to keep eating this good

Uriel:
“Was curious if you knew the Rose and Gorin boys? Heard they’ve been missing for a bit now, around the time the troubles really kicked up.”

Maggy Kent:
They kicked around a bit together. Not many boys that age in town so they didnt have much choice

Maggy Kent:
The Gorin boy was a bad seed if you know what I mean. he was always getting into trouble, especially after the hard times started

Uriel:
“Would have to be kinda serious to get in trouble then, wouldn’t it? I’d think a blind eye would be turned on the minor stuff.”

Maggy Kent:
Early on we were living hand to mouth. It wasnt easy getting used to havin nothing

Maggy Kent:
And a lot of poeple didnt like it so much when Jim suggested that we give all the supplies over to pool our resources

Maggy Kent:
But I know he only wants whats best for the town

Maggy Kent:
He’s never done one single thing thats wrong by me.

Uriel:
“You guy’s must trust him a lot to give your supplies over.”

Uriel:
“Is that when the boy’s disappeared? When their stuff went to the greater good?”

Gunny Hernandez:
“That might explain the stuff that went missing.”

Maggy Kent:
It was some time later. Like I said, Jim has worked his tail off to keep our town safe. It wasnt till he put Kevin in charge that we even had guards round the clock. I dont know how we survived those first few months after the invasion. Now that you mention it though, Mr. Rose was one of the most vocal opponents of Jim’s plan. If you ask me though, he’s just having trouble adapting to the new times. We cant be so independant anymore.

Uriel:
“That’s gotta be tough. You Alaskans seem to pride yourselves on self-reliance more than the average.”

Maggy Kent:
I think thats how we got though this. But we have to pull together and realise that the town is one family. And families work together. We dont horde supplies to ourselves

Uriel:
“I mean even your husband seemed a little peeved that he didn’t have the tools I’d need when I offered to fix his water pump.”

Maggy Kent:
Im sure he’d just need to ask.

  • Maggy Kent looks around disapprovingly for her husband. When he dosent appear she looks uncomforable.

Uriel:
“Any chance someone in town might have something to drink tonight?”

Maggy Kent:
hmm

Maggy Kent:
I know some of the farmers make some whiskey out of the spare corn mash. Not much night life here anymore

Uriel:
“Don’t need a night life really, more a bit of unwinding.”

Maggy Kent:
We still try to have a harvest dance near the church in the fall

Uriel:
“Never been to one of those myself. Grew up in New York.”

Gunny Hernandez:
(What time is it?)

Maggy Kent:
We just get everyone together and try to be normal for an evening

Uriel:
“Where’s Jim live?”

Maggy Kent:
He has a farm north a bit up the road

Uriel:
“Have you been there?”

Maggy Kent:
A few times, mostly just after the trouble started

Uriel:
“Wouldn’t mind seeing it at some point if we stay around these parts a bit.”

Maggy Kent:
im sure he’d welcome you if you plan to stay

Maggy Kent:
was there anything else I could get you boys?

Uriel:
“Only thing I can think of is if you happen to have a map of where that Elementary School is, and it’s surroundings.”

  • Gunny Hernandez pushes back from the table “Well, I thank you for the meal Mrs Kent, but I should get to improving the towns security.” He looks to the Colonel “Sir.”

Maggy Kent:
I dont have any maps but you could try the library

Uriel:
“I think Egil’s got the library staked out.”

Uriel:
“One last thing before you go Maggy. Do you think it’d be worth going out to the Rose’s and Gorin’s? I don’t want to dredge anything up if it’ll make this world harder on anyone for no reason.”

Maggy Kent:
I dont know. Id imagine that Kevin did a good job looking into that

  • Egil tar medisinske bok ute fra biblioteket og finner seg et sted aa sitte der han kan lese boken i full solskinn. Deilig er det aa nyte nydelig vaer.

Uriel:
“He said it was bears.”

Egil:
(in other words… Egil goes outside to read i the sunshine.)

Maggy Kent:
hmm we have had problems with bears… especially over at the dumps

  • Egil smiles occasionally as he peruses the book.

Uriel:
(Is sunshine solskinn, and library biblioteket? medisinske bok, medical book?)

Egil:
((excellent work))

  • Egil sighs softly before stripping to the waist… he lays back in the sun, setting the book to the side for this rare moment.

Uriel:
“He mentioned that, the bears at the dumps. I just have trouble with the fact that there was no sign. If it was a single boy that got attacked by bears and you couldn’t find anything, I don’t think I’d find that suspicious. But with missing equipment, the fact that there was two of them, and that no blood, bone or clothing was found….” Uriel shrugs, and looks a little distressed “It’s just bears don’t add up with all that. But maybe I’m just overthinking it.”

Maggy Kent:
With all the dark things that have happened to us I find it easier not to dwell on these things.

  • Uriel nods sympathetically, “I’m sorry Mags, I shouldn’t dump all that on you. But it’s like I told Kevin, Jim’s asking us to handle these raiders from the school, and I’d rather know too much about it than miss something key, guess it’s just how I was trained.”

Maggy Kent:
Oh im not upset. Just find it easier to look forward if im not always lookin back

Uriel:
“Is probably why I’m up here in Alaska.”

Maggy Kent:
probably why a lot of us are

  • Maggy Kent turns and walks intot he kitchen
  • Uriel stands and walks out of the Kent’s home, somewhat aimlessly walking in the direction of the Bloom’s, best as he’s aware

GM:
After a short time, perhaps an hour or so, you find karen bloom tending to her front yard as though it was a normal sunday afternoon.

  • Uriel steps up to the edge of the property and waits till she takes notice, and waves when she does

Karen Bloom:
sorry I didnt see you there!

  • Karen Bloom takes off a set of gardening gloves.

Karen Bloom:
I usually help in the mills but everyone’s pretty antsy after the attack today so they sent us home

Uriel:
“No problem, I just got here, didn’t want to intrude.”

Uriel:
“The mills? Don’t know if I’ve seen them.”

Karen Bloom:
Nothing fancy I assure you. We just use a water wheel to crush grain and pack it into bags

Uriel:
“Then I’ve got to thank you.”

Karen Bloom:
thank me? why?

Uriel:
“I just had some bread in a sandwich at the Kent’s, I imagine the grain used was in part milled by your efforts.”

Karen Bloom:
YOu should thank my husband. He’s the one who thought to make a wheel

Uriel:
“Fresh bread isn’t something to take for granted anymore, and my people know a thing or two in regards to the importance of bread.”

Uriel:
“Mr. Bloom was actually the reason for my stroll in this direction. I think I may have made a mistake actually, I followed as best I could put together where you were, but was thinking of his work.”

Karen Bloom:
Oh? Can I tell him why you are calling?

Uriel:
“The Kent’s have been more than kind to us, and I looked to help, in what way I could, by repairing a water pump that I saw Dave fiddling with. As I understand, he’s the man to talk to for what I’d need to fix it for him, that being some sort of file, and a decent adjustable wrench.”

Karen Bloom:
Steve dosent keep many tools for himself. But he’s the man to see about fixing things. Let me get him

  • Uriel nods and waits near the verge, admiring the garden
  • Karen Bloom walks inside. Several minutes later she reappears followed by a thin but muscular looking man in jeans and a grey t-shirt. His hair is cut short and he has the look of a man for whom the end of the world was only a minor inconvenience.
  • Steve Bloom walks forward and offers his hand.

Steve Bloom:
Pleased to meet you. Karen says your friend saved one of the men today. I dont know how we can ever pay you back for that

  • Uriel walks up to the couple and reaches out his hand, looking slightly down into the man’s eyes he shakes Steve’s hand firmly, “I can’t take any credit for the Doc’s handiwork, but am glad we were here to help out.”
  • Steve Bloom ’s grip is strong and steady. You get a sense that this man has spent a long time working with his hands and probably hits like a truck.

Uriel:
“We’ve got a bit in common as I understand it, we’re both into fixing and tinkering with things.”

GM:
but kazic didnt seem to be too hot on renewing the forum since he’s not using it anymore
Gunny is disconnected.

Steve Bloom:
I worked over at the service station before the war. Just found I had a knack for that kind of thing

Uriel:
“Same, same. Something calming about the work. It made sense and fit together, unlike most everything else.”

  • Steve Bloom nods

Steve Bloom:
Was there something I could help you with?

Uriel:
“Well, in immediate terms, as I told Karen. I’d like to help out the Kent’s with a broken water pump. Piston in it is all jacked up. Needs some filing, and a bit of elbow grease. Was told you’d be the guy to see about the tools. As for the long term, wouldn’t mind working together a little, see if I can pick anything up, and maybe vice versa. Might learn something that’ll save my life later.”

Steve Bloom:
To be honest, The mayor keeps most of the tools lokced away and we have to ask Mike Zafron if we want to check them out. As for helping out with other stuff, If you really want to help, We have a hydrolic lift in the garage that’s broken down, but if we could fix it i might be able to do better maintainance on some of the old farm equipment

Uriel:
“I see, I see, Alright, I guess I’ll have to ask Jim about the stuff for the Kent’s. As to the lift, I’ll be glad to take a look. Fresh set of eyes never hurt.”

Steve Bloom:
I can take you over if your keen to get a look

Uriel:
“I’m not up to anything at the moment.”

Steve Bloom:
let me grab my keys

  • Steve Bloom goes inside and returns a few moments later with his keys in hand
  • Steve Bloom leads the way back to the filling station. Once there, he unlocks the rollup door with his keys and lets you in
  • Uriel strolls in and walks over to the lift in question, “What seems to be the problem? Loss of pressure? Fluid leak?”

Steve Bloom:
I think its something to do with the pump

  • Uriel makes his way over to the pump, kneeling down and leaning this way and that to get a cursory glance.
View
Hidden Creek, Bacon Town
Hidden Creek

Jim Ward:
Gentlemen, I want to thank you again for helping us today. We’ll talk again tomorrow when youve had a chance to rest

  • Jim Ward walks off with Mike Zaffron in tow. They talk quietly to each other as they exit the church

Egil:
Is it me or does something not feel right here.

  • Gunny Hernandez looks to Kevin Gill “Have they taken anybody from the town?”
  • Uriel nods slightly, “Definitely something odd, can’t quite nail it down.”

Kevin Gill:
We’ve been lucky for the most part. Couple months ago a couple of boys dissapeared. We went looking for them but couldnt turn up hide nor hair of them

Kevin Gill:
I figure they ran into some animal in the woods and got dragged away.

Gunny Hernandez:
“Do you think they were just runaways, or something more sinister?”

Kevin Gill:
Nah, One of them was Jeff Rose’s boy. He was a good kid. The other was Ben Gorin’s youngest. He was just a loser.

Kevin Gill:
Couldnt be counted on and barely enough meat on his bones for a good meal for a bear.

Kevin Gill:
They were probably out past the edge of town like idiots and a bear got em. We get a fair amout of grizzlys around here on account of the dump.

Kevin Gill:
With the winters as bad as theyve been, the bears are pretty agressive

Gunny Hernandez:
“A bear got them and you found no signs? Blood, drag marks, anything?”

Uriel:
“Were they known for hanging out together?”

Kevin Gill:
We didnt, but its a big world out there. I have a town to look after. I can barely get these farmers to spare men for the watch much less for 3 weeks of searching.

Kevin Gill:
I saw em together once or twice.

Kevin Gill:
They were the same age.

Gunny Hernandez:
“Did you lose any gear when they dissappeared?”

Kevin Gill:
Gorin’s gear was missing along with one of Ben’s deer rifles but Rose’s was hanging in his room. Like I said, they probably went out for a walk and ran afoul a griz. If they ran into some of those raiders, I doubt they faired better.

Gunny Hernandez:
“Unless they intended to run into them.”

Kevin Gill:
I didnt think they were stupid enough to go after raiders with one rifle.

Uriel:
“How close do the grizzlies get to town?”

Kevin Gill:
but I suppose its possible

Kevin Gill:
We get a few inside town every month. We can usually shoot em before they cause much damage but they’ll rip apart anything to get at food.

Kevin Gill:
We’ve only had one good mauling in the last year and a half since we got left up here

Uriel:
“The boys knew about them then.”

Uriel:
“Would the rifle they took have stopped a bear?”

Kevin Gill:
Maybe if you hit em in the right place. If a big one caught them by surprise? not a chance.

Gunny Hernandez:
“And you’re sure they wouldn’t have joined up with these raiders that have plagued your town?”

  • Kevin Gill looks angry

Kevin Gill:
God who the fuck knows anymore. Im not a goddamn kindergarden teacher! Ive got to keep the goddamn town safe and I dont have time to wet-nurse every fucking kid that decides to go wander in the woods like an idiot

Uriel:
“Hey man, no one’s blaming you. We’re just trying to get as many details as we can. If these kids ran off then they may have told the raiders details. Even if they got eaten by bears, it’s good to know about the dump attracting them.”

  • Kevin Gill if you want to know about the kids you should ask their folks. Rose’s farm is just west across the river and Gorin’s is just south of town off the road about a quarter mile.
  • Uriel glances at his watch
    GM:
    It’s just after 14:00

Egil:
Bears… oh my.

Uriel:
“Perhaps after lunch we can see their parents. I mean if they aren’t trying to find them, can’t be much hope.”

Gunny Hernandez:
“You can do that, I’d like to inspect Mr. Gill’s security forces.”

Kevin Gill:
Its been nearly 2 months since anyone seen them… Im sure Mrs. Rose will talk your ear off if you let her but Id avoid her husband If I were you. he’s embarrased about the whole thing.

  • Egil frowns.
  • Kevin Gill looks at egil

Kevin Gill:
We have enough to worry about around here. Hostile armies, raiders, animals, weather, crop failure. You cant blame the man for being upset about the stir his kid caused.

Uriel:
“You said the raiders have started coming more often, ever couple weeks. When did their increase in activity start?”

Kevin Gill:
I dont know, a month or so ago?

Uriel:
“Do you guys have any maps of the area the school is in?”

Kevin Gill:
Not that I know of… you could ask the padre if he has an atlas but nothing close up

Uriel:
“Maybe Egil can bring it up when he heads to the library.”

Kevin Gill:
Ive got to go make the rounds and make sure the sentries are still looking for trouble after this morning. Ill talk to you later

Gunny Hernandez:
“I’ll go with you, if you don’t mind.”

Kevin Gill:
Sure.

  • Kevin Gill turns and walks out the door
  • Uriel waves briefly to the two and then makes his way back to Maggie’s for lunch
  • Gunny Hernandez begins to follow Kevin out the door but turns back to the others “Save me some lunch.”
    The group splits with Uriel and Egil heading in for lunch and Gunny Hernandez going with Gill to inspect the fortifications
  • Uriel glances about as the walk through town, making sure no one is nearby he says to Egil, “Keep an eye out on the refugees, maybe they’re doing these people some good, but refugees can turn into slaves quick.”

Egil:
Yah. It seems like they have all the meneal jobs in town

Uriel:
“Yeah… not sure how much security is worth, chamber pot emptier is up at the edge though.”

Egil:
But then again… why wouldn’t they? What do they bring to a community like this besides their labor?
As you approach Maggie’s house, you see that she is waiting by the gate watching you come up the path

  • Uriel nods at Egil and then notices Maggie and waves to her

Maggy Kent:
I heard the shooting! What happened?!

  • Maggy Kent waves

Uriel:
“Some raiders drove up in a truck and shot up the place, everyone’s fine now though. Doc here patched up the only one that got hurt.”

Maggy Kent:
Oh thank God you were here!

  • Egil smiles. “Could we bother you for a bite to eat? I’d like to get over to the library as soon as I could.”
  • Maggy Kent Walks out from behind her fence and Hugs Egil ernestly

Maggy Kent:
Of course of course

Maggy Kent:
Come in! I have some bacon, ill make you some sandwiches. Least I can do for the town’snewest heroes

  • Egil is stiff as a board when he gets hugged.
  • Maggy Kent drags you back into her house and sits you at the table. Soon the smell of bacon wafts through the open kitchen door
  • Maggy Kent over the sound of sizzling
  • Uriel glances around the room, “Sandwiches means bread.”

Maggy Kent:
We killed a fat hog about a month ago! You’re lucky Im spoiling you while I try to get rid of whats left before it goes bad!

Uriel:
“Speaking of spoiling, I don’t suppose anyone in town has any fermented or distilled beverages?”

  • Maggy Kent enters the room with a plate of steaming bacon and a loaf of hearty brown bread with a knife stuck throught he top

Maggy Kent:
I hope you dont mind, im saving the greens for dinner.

  • Maggy Kent shortly brings out another plate with onions fried in the bacon fat.
  • Uriel looks at the display tepidly, “Well, I suppose it wouldn’t be the first time.”
  • Egil smiles at the bread. “Will we ever again have a time when the world abounds with butter?”

Maggy Kent:
Id kill for a stick of butter myself!

Uriel:
“Can you milk a moose?”
You pick through the meal. About 40 minutes after you arrive, Gunny Hernandez arrives and digs in.

Maggy Kent:
I cant rightly say that Ive ever tried

Maggy Kent:
Moose are pretty onrey

Uriel:
“I’ve been around a decent amount of Alaskans recently… I’d put money down that someone’s tried.”

  • Egil pushes up from the table. “I’ll be inthe library if you need me.”

Maggy Kent:
Ha! im sure they have. Knowing some of theseguys it was a bull and not a cow though

  • Uriel laughs as he notices Gunny arrive and Egil leave. He nods over to Gunny, “How’d your tour turn out?”

Gunny Hernandez:
“Their fortifications, if you can call them that, are woefully inadequate.”

Gunny Hernandez:
“And the fighter need a considerable amount of training, they know which way to point the guns, but not much more.”

Gunny Hernandez:
(fighters)

Uriel:
“From what Gill said it sounded like most were farmers.”

  • Gunny Hernandez digs into the bacon, using the bread to sop up any grease.

Gunny Hernandez:
“That makes sense. Maybe some have had hunting experience, before the war and such.”

Uriel:
“Say Maggie, you ever hear about a school, out a ways through the woods?”

Maggy Kent:
We have the school here in town. Closest one other than that is Willow Elementary down the old State Highway 3

Uriel:
“The raiders might be using it as a base.”

View
Hidden Creek, A New Friend
Hidden Creek

Jim Ward:
We are incredibly lucky you were here to assist us

Jim Ward:
Especially you doctor

  • Egil smiles at Mr. Ward. “It is my calling. I do what is required.”

Uriel:
“I’m sure your guys would have taken care of the marauders.”

Jim Ward:
We’ve been plagued by these degenerates since the weather first started getting bad over a year ago. But, maybe you can help us find a more permenant security solution

Egil:
Who are they?

Jim Ward:
Just desperate men doctor.

Egil:
Ja, so it seemed. Where do they live?

Jim Ward:
But we cant let the sense of humanity we all shared endanger our security. Those thought belong to another age.

Jim Ward:
We have some evidence the men may be coming from a school further down the valley

Uriel:
“Evidence?”

Jim Ward:
hunters have seen vehicle tracks

Jim Ward:
we have food and fuel… what we dont have is trained men

Uriel:
“What exactly did you have in mind?”

Jim Ward:
What I propose is simple. If you can strike those raiders at their base, they may think twice about attacking us again. If you can wipe them out, all the better

Egil:
Have you considered negotiating?

Jim Ward:
These men are scarcely better than animals Doctor. they prey on the weak and the vulnerable. They respect nothing. They place no value on the sanctity of life

Jim Ward:
As I was saying, these men are not much better than animals. They attack without mercy and take what we make by our own hard work. We arent cruel here, we even have made room for what refugees we can. But these men dont value work, only power

Jim Ward:
South of here, there is an abandoned high school building ouside a town called willow. Thats where our men think these monsters are holed up. If you could somehow eliminate their threat, I think we could give you more than enough food and fuel to see you through the winter.

Jim Ward:
Perhaps we might even be able to convince you to stay!
Praetus:
“That’s a tough call Mayor Ward. While we need the supplies dearly, there’s a big difference between running off a small raid and assaulting a building of armed thugs. It’s something we’d have to think more about at least.”

Uriel:
“That’s a tough call Mayor Ward. While we need the supplies dearly, there’s a big difference between running off a small raid and assaulting a building of armed thugs. It’s something we’d have to think more about at least.”

  • Jim Ward looks slightly dissapointed

Jim Ward:
Well, consider it at least

  • Egil looks over at Uriel.

Jim Ward:
Our people would be incfredibly grateful. Not to mention the lives you would save here.

Uriel:
“Tell us more about it anyway. This school, was it built post-Columbine? How many men are we talking about? Will any of yours be accompanying us?”

Jim Ward:
Its an older school building, I dont know that anyone has been near it since the invasion. Ususally when our men find vehicle tracks, they stay far away. We dont want to draw attention to ourselves.

Jim Ward:
Our men arent soldiers like you.

Uriel:
“The truck the men drove up in, can any of the hunters identify if it matches the tracks they saw?”

  • Egil listens carefully, brow furrowing from time to time.

Jim Ward:
I… I didnt think to ask. Kevin?

Kevin Gill:
Ill check it out

Jim Ward:
In the mean time, perhaps I can offer our hospitality for a day or two more? We’d all feel safer knowing you are here
hearing a scuff at the door you look to theopening to find that a small crowd has gathered outside.

Uriel:
“I doubt either of us are going to argue with a warm place to stay and a good meal.”

Uriel:
“Though, I can’t help but think, that wasn’t a cap gun on the back of that truck. With your guy’s permission, I think we’d feel better if we could get our things from hiding.”
GM:
I think you’ve proven your intent, but im sure you wouldnt mind if we posted some guards with you. Id be remiss if I didnt always keep my peoples safety in mind.

  • Uriel turns to Egil, “What do you think, Doc?”

Egil:
Can’t hurt to stay for a while.

Jim Ward:
Its settled then

Jim Ward:
Ill let maggie know to keep your beds warm… speaking of beds, Im sure you could use some rest after this morning. If you’d like we can reconvene tomorrow to hash out any other deals

Jim Ward:
In honor of our mutual victory Id like to invite you to have the freedom of the town as well. We have a leatherworker in town, Mr. Sealy and his family make fine work.

Jim Ward:
And we have a small library here in the basement of the church

Uriel:
“Maggie’s sounds great. One last thing. If we’re looking to do something serious about this school, we’re going to need a more solid idea of what we’re walking into. With your go ahead I’d like to look into bringing in another guy. We left our radios back with our other gear, we can vouch for his character, but can understand if you have restrictions on him. But I think if we’re serious about handling this situation, we’re gonna need his help.”

Jim Ward:
I suppose a friend of yours is a friend of ours

Uriel:
“Good to hear, our chances improved significantly.”
Egil:
About your library… Could I look through it?

Jim Ward:
of course. A man of learning needs a place to expand his mind. Though, you may find our selection a bit… lacking

Jim Ward:
most of the books were taken from the middle school… You’d have to talk to Father Pisano, he watches over the books

Egil:
I look forward to seeing it anyways

Uriel:
“Do you think some of your men would be interested in coming along? I also had thoughts we might be able to help a bit with some training. Teach a man to fish and all that.”

Jim Ward:
Of course. Im sure our men could use whatever instruction you could give them

Uriel:
“I think we’ll be able to help each other out.”

Jim Ward:
As far as any assault goes, that would be a decision the men themselves would have to make

Uriel:
“That part of it will come more into frame as we get a clearer picture of what we’re dealing with. We don’t even know for sure that this school is where they’re coming from.”

Jim Ward:
Yes of course

Jim Ward:
Well then, lets give these men some time to rest!

Jim Ward:
I look forward to talking to you again in the morning

Uriel:
“Sounds good. We’ll think better after a good night’s rest.”

Uriel:
“Perhaps Egil and I will gather our things while the light’s still good.”
The meeting breaks up and you move to leave town and gather your belongings. On the way out, The young woman who assisted on the surgury approaches Egil

Karen Bloom:
We were fortunate to have an actual doctor here. I dont treat many gunshot wounds, even today

  • Egil looks over at her and smiles. “It was good to have an extra pair of hands to help.”

Karen Bloom:
My name is Karen. I used to work at Anchorage General as a charge nurse. I keep the bodies in the town working and my husband steve fixes anything mechanical. I guess you could say we are mister and misses fixit around here.

  • Karen Bloom looks at the crowd that is slowly following behind you as you walk out of town

Karen Bloom:
I guess word got out that we have a doctor in town. Im sure they’ll talk you right through the night if you let them.

Karen Bloom:
Look, I dont know if you intend to stay, but these are good people and they deserve more than I can give them. Do you think you might be able to give me some more advanced classes?

  • Egil looks at Karen for a moment, his arms folded across his chest. “I’ll teach you what I can, but it isn’t likely that will be hear too long.”

Karen Bloom:
Ill take what I can

  • Karen Bloom looks disappointed

Egil:
But as long as we’re here, I’ll teach you what I can. Where would you like to start?
You continue out of town and less than a half hour later, you meet up with Gunny Ramirez who, having seen you leave the town, has returned the the vehicle.

  • Uriel waves briefly to Jack as they approach. “Nice shooting with the truck, Doc might still be patching people up if they kept on shooting.”

Gunny:
“What have you learned of the town, and the people? Everything ’jive?”

Uriel:
“Ehh, they seem nice enough. And this could just be paranoia, but something seems off. They’ve asked us for some help dealing with those raiders, offered the food and fuel we’d need for the winter if we can do it.”

  • Gunny picks at the remains of an MRE packet while listening to Uriel. “We definitely need fuel, and food.” He tosses the empty packet onto the ground. “The least we can do is take a look. If its too much trouble we hit the road.”

Uriel:
“They’ve got refugees they’ve taken in, looks a bit shady at first glance. But that’s probably the times.”

Gunny:
“Are they requesting we still leave our gear here?”

Uriel:
“We can bring it along, but we’ll be tailed by some guards. Not like everything we do isn’t going to be watched all the time anyway, so what the hell.”

Uriel:
“Think we should probably keep the humvee under wraps still, but don’t know how others feel about that.”

Gunny:
“We’ll take the Humvee, it’ll be better if they think I came from further away.”

The Col.:
It sounds like a plan then

Uriel:
“Makes sense, and I won’t have to walk back. We’ll have to be careful in our approach, so they don’t think more raiders are coming.”

Gunny:
“Maybe you should walk back, and I’ll bring the truck up in an hour or so. Simulate some travel time.”

The Col.:
That way we could tell them you are coming

Uriel:
“Going to give me blisters.”

The Col.:
very well then

  • Gunny sets to uncovering the Humvee as the other’s head back to town.

Uriel:
“Alright so we walk back, let them know we got in touch, and the cavalry is coming.”.

  • The Col. nods
  • Uriel goes about the make-shift camp and gathers his gear
    You return to town. You notify the guards about the vehicle and a short time later, you see the HMMWV rumble around the corner. This causes somewhat of a ruccus in town as the children amass around you. Many of these people have not seen a US millitary vehicle in years
    In fact, many of them have probably not seen a working vehicle that wasnt bearing raiders in over a year

Uriel:
“Anyone seen the Mayor, or Kevin Gill?”

  • Kevin Gill stands at the edge of the crowd looking at the LMG on the HMMWV disapprovingly
  • Gunny steps out of the humvee and takes a moment to survey the crowd. “Is this what you have been dealing with?”
  • Uriel makes his way over to Gunny and waves him along to Gill, “Not to this degree, the ride must take it over the top.” Uriel pauses as they approach Kevin, “Hey Kev, this is Gunnery Sergeant Jack Hernandez. Jack, this is Kevin Gill, Hollow Creek’s security.”
  • Gunny looks Kevin Gill over for a moment. “Mister Gill. I heard you had a run in with some bad men.”

Kevin Gill:
And now three fresh graves on the edge of town to help warn any other troublemakers

Gunny:
“How often have they been raiding?

Kevin Gill:
We used to get hit maybe once a month or so. Recently its been every couple of weeks. They’re either up to something or they sense winter is coming. Either way they arent getting anything from us

Uriel:
“What normally happens in these raids? Are they always equipped like today’s raid?”

Kevin Gill:
Soemtimes they come in greater numbers. sometimes its just a shot or two in the dark of night. Back in june, Keith Oberman’s son was killed out on the guard post in the middle of the night

Uriel:
“Are they raiding the farms for food or stealing stuff? What do they risk their lives for?”

Kevin Gill:
Im not sure it even occurs to them that they might die

Gunny:
“Or it no longer matters.”

Gunny:
“To them”

Uriel:
“How often to you take one of them down?”

Kevin Gill:
Not often enough. Weve never taken one of their vehicles before

Kevin Gill:
they are getting brazen

Uriel:
“It sounds like we’re dealing with a pretty big number of men here.”

Kevin Gill:
They might be pressing people into service

View
Hidden Creek, Shoot Out
Hidden Creek

so when we left off, Gunny hernandez was taking aim on the man in the back of the truck who is manning the machine gun.

GM:
Egil and Uriel have run out of the church and you see several armed men running to the east, about 100 feet in front of you is Kevil Gill
Another crack of automatic gunfire ripples through the air

  • Uriel takes up near a wall of the church, and shouting to Kevin after the burst of fire, “Where the fuck is that militia you greeted us with?”
  • Egil hangs with Uriel, eyes attentive for various details.

Gunny:
2,19

Egil:
2,16

Uriel:
17,7

Uriel:
(I hit it on the dot, so am I just at 15?)
GM:
3,16
GM:
15,17

Gunny:
11,6,10,17

Uriel:
(how many ticks was my yelling cost?)

Gunny:
4,4

Gunny:
12,12,2,1

Gunny:
5,6
GM:
8,20
GM:
12,18
GM:
6,14
GM:
11,16

  • Uriel sprints after Egil, shouting, “Damn your Hippocratic Oath Doc.” sliding in down next to them
    GM:
    12,13

Uriel:
(I’ll hold)

Gunny:
7,10,6
GM:
16,12

Egil:
6,20,15,9

Gunny:
afk one sec

Egil:
19,11
GM:
13,12
GM:
13,16

  • Uriel takes the weapon from the sentry and turns and falls into a prone position, readying himself for what comes next

Gunny:
16,12

Uriel:
5,12

Egil:
12,20,4,1

  • Uriel readies himself, adjusting his shoulders slightly as the butt of the rifle pulls tight, he follows the line of the barrel and levies the sites on the man with the machine gun

Uriel:
7,1,4

Uriel:
5,4
Egil has received initiative.
Uriel has received initiative.
Gunny has received initiative.

Gunny:
12,10,7,12

Gunny:
5,6
Several minutes pass after the last shot. Egil continues to treat the wounded sentry. Finally, you see Kevin Gill walking towards you with his rifle held in front of him. He sees you tending to the wounded sentry and nods but says nothing.

  • Kevin Gill speaks after a few moments

Kevin Gill:
One of them is still alive but he’s in a bad way. The other two are dead already.

Uriel:
“Americans?”

Kevin Gill:
Used to be. Just raider filth now.

Uriel:
“He have anything of use to say? Are more on the way?”

Kevin Gill:
I dont think anyone is interested in talking to him. He’s lucky if we just let him bleed out.

  • Uriel stands up slowly, brushing the dirt and pebbles off his clothes, holding the rifle in the crook of his arm, the barrel pointed at the ground
  • Gunny watches the movement of the sentries.

Uriel:
“I think your man here is gonna be alright, real lucky the Doc was here. Course, I’ll leave the official diagnosis to the man with the degrees.”

Kevin Gill:
Looks like you put some pretty accurate fire on them. I guess I should say thanks

Uriel:
“Just glad I could help before anyone else got hurt.”

Kevin Gill:
We should probably get him inside

  • Uriel turns to Egil, “Safe to move him?”
    You are shortly joined by The mayor and several farmers as well as a frantic woman who you guess is the injured man’s wife

Egil:
Yes. He can be moved, but i need to operate on him soon.

Jim Ward:
Of course, of course! Help him get James inside!

  • Jim Ward motions to another woman who is running towards you.

Jim Ward:
Karen is our town nurse, she’ll help you however she can… Karen?

Karen Bloom:
Of course!

  • Uriel leans down and gingerly puts his hands under the man’s left shoulder and waits for the signal to lift, “Hey guy, you’re gonna be alright.”

Karen Bloom:
We should take him to the school. I have the nurses office in the basement set up to handle any wounded or sick folks

Uriel:
“Let’s do it then.”
working together you move the wounded man to the nurses office

  • Egil nods, hovering over the patient.
View
Hidden Creek, Barter Town
Hidden Creek

When you dress and come downstairs, Maggie has cut oats and fruit on the table for breakfast.

Uriel:
“Good morning, Maggie,” Uriel announces as he sits down for breakfast. “Another fine looking meal.”

Maggy Kent:
Kevin should be down in a bit to take you all to meet the Mayor.

Maggy Kent:
Oh this is nothing, but ill take the complement anywyas.

  • Egil nods with a smile. “Takk.” he looks to the others and then begins to eat.
  • Uriel digs around his bowl, eating the oatmeal first as best he can, leaving the fruit for last.
    The fruit is mostly berries and it reminds you strongly of home Egil

Uriel:
“Anything to know about the Mayor? Like do we call him Mr. Mayor, or what?”

Maggy Kent:
Oh he usually likes Mayor Ward or Jim once you get to know him.
As you begin wrap up breakfast, a hard knock is heard at the door.

Maggy Kent:
That’ll be Kevin now.

  • Maggy Kent leaves to get the door
  • Uriel looks to the others, flashing a somewhat skeptical expression to the others, but stays quiet
    Kevin and Maggie return a few moments later

Maggy Kent:
Its been a pleasure to have such nice men visit. Please come back again if you travel this way again.

Kevin Gill:
Lets go, the Mayor is waiting.

  • Uriel glances up at Kevin warily, then turns more towards Maggy as he rises, “The pleasure was all mine, Mrs. Kent, tell Kevin I’ll still help him with that piston if theirs time before we leave, and he finds the tools.”
  • Egil remains quiet thoug watchful.
    You follow Kevin out to the yard of the house and the two guards fall into step with you as you walk down the hill towards the east side of town.

Uriel:
“Nice enough morning for a walk.”
You reach the road near the gas station and continue south. Kevin seems to be bearing towards a red roofed church with several armed men milling around in front, talking.

  • Uriel gives a cursory but subtle glance at the gas station as they pass
    The doors of the gas station stand open and the windows of the mini-mart have been broken or removed.
  • Uriel looks to Kevin and the two guards, “What denomination is your Church?”
    Lutheran, but it hardly matters anymore. Noone cares about that crap anymore.

Kevin Gill:
Lutheran, but it hardly matters anymore. Noone cares about that crap anymore.

  • Uriel nods and continues walking on, “So no chance of a potluck Sunday then.”
  • Kevin Gill breaks one of the first smiles youve seen since you met him.
    you come to the front of the church and find that the back half of the church has been converted into some sort of meeting room
    Several people mill about, talking to one another. Kevin leads you to one of the tables at which two other men are seated. The younger, more well groomed one stands as you approach. The other stares at a ledger and only glances at you.

Egil:
((bio))

Jim Ward:
Hi! Welcome to Hidden Creek, Im so sorry I had left for the day when you arrived. My name is Jim Ward, im the Mayor around here.

  • Jim Ward Shakes each of your hands in turn.
  • Uriel looks over the younger man as they shake hands, afterwards he looks to the man still sitting, seeing if he can catch a meaningful glimpse at the ledger.

Jim Ward:
Now Ive gotta ask you, what brings the military back to our little town. We havent heard word of US troops in nearly 8 months.
Jim Ward whispers: It seems to be a supply manifest. Its hard to read, the man has his arm circled around the top of the book like a teenager at the SAT

Uriel:
“Pleased to meet you Mayor Ward, I’m Uriel Sagan.”

Uriel:
“Well, we seem to have a similar problem, we haven’t heard anything either from them. We’re trying to get somewhere that that’s not the case.”

Jim Ward:
Hmm I see. So just passing through then? Heading south I take it?

  • Uriel nods, “Nothing of note to the North but Russians and Eskimoes.”

Jim Ward:
And raiders. I heard the russians near fairbanks have broken up into bands and are looting whatever they can come across these days.

  • Egil mutters quietly, “… misery…”

Uriel:
“I’d like to think that kind of scum is nothing but Russians, but I know better.”

Jim Ward:
These are desperate times. Some people have become qhte the barbarians

Jim Ward:
Quite the barbarians. Sorry I bit my tounge.

Uriel:
“Yes, it gives me some hope to find this slice of civilization, perhaps there are others who remain intact.”

Jim Ward:
We try very hard here. It certainly hasnt been easy. Place like this is a ripe target

Jim Ward:
We have a few come up from around Anchorage but weve been able to either discourage them or beat them back so far.

Uriel:
“What about Russians?”

Jim Ward:
Theyve stuck mostly to the city limits thank god. Not really sure what they are up to but if they came, I doubt we could do anything to stop them from taking what they wanted.

Gunny:
10,5,11,12

Uriel:
“Hear anything about a resistance?”

Jim Ward:
We try to keep our heads low. I cant say weve been looking for much trouble.

Uriel:
“Yeah, is probably safest to stay out of the spotlight.”

Jim Ward:
How do you plan to get south? Kevin told me you came on foot. Thats a long walk

Uriel:
“Well, our Colonel here is a big history buff.”

Uriel:
“Give him a chance and he’ll tell you a dozen stories of men marching twice as far, three times as fast, with half the rations.”

Jim Ward:
Food comes dear these days. Speaking of which I hope you enjoyed Maggies cooking. She loves to have guests so we send all our visitors to her.

Uriel:
“She was a wonderful hostess, the fresh fruit and veg was a nice treat.”

  • Jim Ward nods

Jim Ward:
Have you found any other villages like ours? Its pretty lonely up here

Egil:
Maggie’s coking was excellent.

Uriel:
“Nothing really like this no. We know some people are still in Anchorage living under the Reds’ hammer.”

  • Jim Ward nods grimly

Jim Ward:
Well!

  • Jim Ward placews his hands on the table

Jim Ward:
This here is Mike Zafron. Mike is our bookkeper and master of the town’s supplies. If you brought goods to trade, Im sure we can work something out.
The man at the table looks up from his book, which he closes carefully.

Mike Zafron:
You can just call me Mike. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?
GM:
Fuel, food, ammunition, batteries
GM:
tools perhaps?

Egil:
Are you willing to barter services for these goods?

Uriel:
“Good to meet you Mike. Looking for standard things, food stuffs, some ammo, and maybe some batteries or fuel we can trade down the road. Spare tools can help, and I’m sure the Doc here is open to any medical supplies.”

Mike Zafron:
We might give some value for services. It would depend on the offering

Uriel:
(any of the voices so far sound like the midnight visitor?)

Mike Zafron:
We have a few repairs that need doing if you have a mechanic with you.
It was the mayor

Mike Zafron:
We need medicine if you have it. Weapons and ammunition of course

Uriel:
(quick bio)

Uriel:
“Well, I’ve got to be honest, we didn’t carry much with us since Kevin had us leave our guns.”

Mike Zafron:
We can arrainge to eaxchange goods outside the town if we make a deal

Uriel:
“Good good.”
afk one sec

Uriel:
“Well, with the right tools, I can lend a hand on those mechanical repairs you mentioned. The Doc here can probably help out on that front. What do you think that’ll be worth to start this off?”

Mike Zafron:
back

Mike Zafron:
For repairs of our generator, we can trade 100 liters of Diesel, or 200 liters of bio-diesel.

Mike Zafron:
We have some food and a few tools if you prefer that kind of thing.

Uriel:
(do we have that space in jerrycans?)

Mike Zafron:
you have 80l in jerry cans plus the tank of the vehicle

Mike Zafron:
can we make a deal?

Uriel:
“I think that sounds fair.”

Mike Zafron:
As for medical supplies, we would be willing to trade well for whatever you are willing to part with

Uriel:
“That would be Egil’s department.”

  • Egil smiles. “Our supplies are limited. But we have something else of even greater value: knowledge.”

Mike Zafron:
Your knowledge may suffice for now but it is cold comfort when winter comes and one of the farmers is mauled by wolves. We need antibiotics. I would be willing to trade, say, 3 Liters of Bio-deisel per hour of work you do, plus 50 liters for supplies you use.

Uriel:
“Do you guy’s have any means of communication? Long range radios or what have you? Should be able to stay in touch for a while after we’ve moved on.”

Mike Zafron:
We dont have any transmitting radios. We have a few emergency recievers

  • Egil glances at Uriel. “We will have to see. Our supplies are small to begin with.”

Uriel:
“I’ve got a lil’ bit of electronics behind me if you could use anything done there… same for reloading casings or fixing up guns that might be damaged, if you have the tools anyway.”

  • Mike Zafron looks to Gill, who thinks for a moment, then nods once.

Mike Zafron:
We have a few weapons that might be repairable

Uriel:
“Sounds like we have a very good start. Some of the details need smoothing over, like Egil said, our supplies aren’t that extensive, so we’re walking a knife edge on what we trade away.”

Those of you in the chruch hear automatic gunfire. Mayor Ward and Mike Zafron both nearly fall out of their chairs and hug the ground.

  • Kevin Gill rushes to the window, drawing his rifle
  • Uriel follows suit and gets a low to the ground, “What’s going on?”
  • Kevin Gill turns to the party with a scowl on his face.

Kevin Gill:
Is this your doing?!

  • Kevin Gill levels his rifle at you

Uriel:
“Hey, if we were going to attack your town, do you think we’d do it while we were in here and unarmed?”

  • Kevin Gill turns quickly and runs for the door
View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.