We are making some changes to image storage. You may see missing images in your image library. They are still there, just hidden and will be visible within a few hours. Please be patient. ×

Cold Season

Hidden Creek, Domestic Abuse

Hidden Creek

GM:
When you come to the small shed housing the pump generator you immediately see the problem. The generator has been stripped down and will need parts to function again

GM whispers: oops. well You realise that you probably have the parts at base. Alternately you might be able to strip parts off some of the vehicles parked in front of the Bloom’s house
You say to the GM: What about the raider’s truck
GM:
perhaps
GM whispers: you can make a mechanics (AWA) test to see if you can strip the vehicle for parts to fix the generator

  • Gunny Hernandez wanders down the street looking for Kevin Gill, actively scanning for any signs of danger.
  • Uriel turns to Bloom, “So the pump generator looks like it’s been through some kind of salvage operation. I can maybe see about the raider’s truck if I can strip any parts off that, but if I can’t, it’ll definitely need parts from somewhere.”

Uriel:
1,19,15

Steve Bloom:
We should push the truck out of the field and onto the pavement before the farmers get the same idea and strip that truck down for traktor parts

Uriel:
“Don’t suppose you guys are hiding some oxen or some other beasts of burden for just these occasions?”

Steve Bloom:
Hmm.

  • Steve Bloom motions to a boy standing near the rollup door of the station

Steve Bloom:
Jimmy go down to Ray Manizic’s place and tell him to bring two of his big drafts down ASAP. But tell him to be quiet about it. Go now!

Uriel:
“The horses a big draw around town?”

Steve Bloom:
Small town.

Steve Bloom:
Nothing stays a secret in a small town.
GM:
As the boy leaves you make your way down into the field and up to the raider’s truck. You put the battered pick-up into neutral and start pushing. You’ve made it nearly 100 feet through the soft soil before the Horses arrive

  • Uriel wipes his brow with his sleeve as he eases off pushing and more or less leans against the pick up. “Well that’s a welcome sight.”
    GM:
    In short order youve lashed the truck to the horses and have pulled it to the service station. Once there you back the truck into the unoccupied bay and begin stripping it down for parts
    GM:
    It’s early evening by the time you look up from your task and realise that you have a small but serviceable pile of engine parts.
  • Gunny Hernandez takes mental note of the number of gingers he see while wandering the streets of bacon town.
    GM:
    (10 units of small mechanical parts)
  • Uriel takes a quick inventory of the assembled parts and goes through a mental checklist for the pump generator
    You say to the GM: figuring if I have enough to fix it
    GM whispers: should be unless you fail
  • Uriel looks up towards the sky, then glances down at his watch. “Think this might be something to tackle tomorrow, been a long day.”
  • Steve Bloom wipes the sweat from his face.

Steve Bloom:
Good to have a days work in though

Steve Bloom:
Meet you down here in the morning?

  • Steve Bloom Begins gathering up the peices
  • Uriel nods, “Sounds like a plan. Hopefully by lunchtime we’ll have made some headway.”

Steve Bloom:
Right. Thanks for the help.

MEANWHILE

Uriel:
“Anytime.”
Egil has connected.
GM:
Gunny Hernandez walks around the town for about an hour before being directed to a amall neglected looking brick house. It looks as though the people living here have little time or patience for either growing things or trimming them back. Metal shutters and a security gate indicate the owner’s concern for security, however.
GM:
You walk up to the front door and after several knocks you are greeted by a nervuos looking woman who tells you that Keven is sleeping and will usually be up in the late afternoon.

Gunny Hernandez:
“I see, its good to know that the town’s security plays second fiddle to nap time.” pauses a moment before walking back down the path “He knows where he can find me when he’s ready to get to work.”
GM:
The woman looks as though you hit her before gathering herself and quickly saying “K-Kevin stays up every night to help the watch! He takes it very seriously!” She backs away from the door, half expecting you to barge in.
GM:
You can be wherever you want this afternoon. Youve been given free reign of the town, though the watch still eyes you with some suspicion. Fero is working with Steve Bloom, the husband of the Nurse who helped you

Gunny Hernandez:
“WHere do they watch the perimeter at night?”
GM:
Kevin walks around and makes sure the men on duty are paying attention and not sleeping. Its a very important job.

Gunny Hernandez:
“What time does he start his rounds?”

  • Egil has cleaned up the nurses office at the gradeschol. While he was so engaged, he asked a couple people to spread that word that he has “opened the clinic” for the afternoon and is willing to talk to anyone interested in an exam or consultation.
    GM:
    Very shortly there is a line of people out the door waiting to be seen. The people are, in general, in very good health considering the circumstances.

You say to the GM: can I retroactively ask Bloom where I can find a drink?
GM whispers: some of the farmers make whiskey from corn mash, but Steve says if you get that generator working tomorrow, he’s got something special for you.

  • Egil grows more and more cheerful as the afternoon wears on, almost as if the open clinic gives him energy rather than takes it. He is especially good with kids, putting them at ease and taking time to coach them.

After a long day of work, you return to Maggie’s boarding house where you wash up and get a hearty vegitable stew for dinner

Uriel:
“Been a long day. Tomorrow might turn out to be longer, going to try and put a pump generator back together.”

Maggy Kent:
Steves been working on that one for a while now. Maybe if he gets it working he can fix up a few of the old trucks for harvest time

Uriel:
“Gonna give it a shot. Can’t make any promises, it’s pretty busted up.”

Maggy Kent:
Youve been nothing but good news for this town. Im almost afraid for the other shoe to drop.

Uriel:
“Who knows what will happen with that school.”

Maggy Kent:
It just seems so dangerous. The raiders havent taken anything big in months. I dont know why you have to go. If you just stayed with us we’d be as secure as we need.

  • Maggy Kent looks at you hopefully

Gunny Hernandez:
“If we stayed here, who would help the other towns that need our help too.”

  • Maggy Kent looks disappointed

Maggy Kent:
Yes, I suppose there are others who need you just as much as we do.

  • Gunny Hernandez pauses from his meal and looks to Maggy, “And truth be told, your town doesn’t have it nearly as bad as some that we’ve seen.”

Maggy Kent:
Oh! well, I guess I hadnt really thought of it. I mean, if we can make it I figured everyone… well…

  • Maggy Kent turns and walks out of the room into the kitchen

Gunny Hernandez:
“We’ll be here for a time.”

  • Gunny Hernandez finishes his meal and head to bed early.

Uriel:
“Eventually we hope to get back to friendly territory. Where we’ve been, and what we’ve seen might help in the effort.”

Maggy Kent:
We havent heard anything from down south in months, even on the shortwave.

Uriel:
“Same, but something’s still got to be there. They’ve got contigencies. Someone is trying to put the pieces back together.”

Comments

Whydon

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.