Cold Season

Hidden Creek, Next Day

Hidden Creek

When we left off, you had just been led to your rooms by Maggy’s husband David who left you to your own devices. Standing outside the two story brick building are two guards. Maggy can be heard working in the kitchen.
You can avail yourselves of the gravity shower or get up to some other mischief

GM:
Its a cool day, a reminder that winter is not far off. Youd guess its in the mid 60s

  • Gunny attempts to quantify the amount of sweat forming in he ass crack while laying in the bushes on the outskirts of town. FIgures it about 1 mL

Gunny:
(he = the)
jered is disconnected.

  • Uriel makes his way downstairs to David, inquiring about the necessities for one of the previously offered showers
    You find david outside the building tinkering with manual walter pump
    jered has connected.
  • Egil makes his way toward the kitchen, observant as he works his way there. He taps on the doorframe with a knuckle. “God morn,” he says with an easy, mellifluous sing-song voice. “May I help you, Miss Maggie?”
  • Uriel steps over to the man and crouches down next to him, “What’ve you got there?” Uriel asks pleasently

David Kent:
Its just an nold pump im trying to get working again. Nothing important

Maggy Kent:
I wouldnt think of having my guests work around the house! Relax. Its a luxury these days.

Uriel:
“Maybe I can help, I’ve got a knack for tinkering. I’d usually reserve my services for trade, but you and your wife are nice enough to put up strangers in this time, a rare thing. It’s the least I can do to at least take a look.”

jered:
1,20,3

  • Egil shakes his head, taking a couple more steps into the kitchen. “My mother taught me better than that, m’am. And my wife would be…” He goes slient for a few moments. “I hope that somewhere another man is offering to help in her kitchen.”
    Egil:
    ((pronounced Egg-ihl, or ehg-uhl

Gunny:
(or Eagle)
Egil:
((if you want dysntery, infection, or a late-life circumcision.))

Maggy Kent:
Im sure she’s waiting for you… wherever she is

Gunny:
(I’ll fish fight you, or shoot out from 1000 yards)

Gunny:
(fish count as hand weapons btw
jered:
The battle damage on the outside of the town looks like it was done intentionally.

Egil:
Mork Mork!

Bernard:
me

Bernard:
What do you think these folks are up to

  • Gunny continues writing up his range card, thinking back to the times that he was a spotter and had a shooter to help with this kind of work.

Bernard:
seems fairly elaborate for an ambush

  • Uriel leans a bit closer to the pump, trying to give it a quick visual diagnostic before David says anything

Bernard:
but i will defer to you military guys

Uriel:
17,6,14

  • Egil takes a slow breath, exhaling through his nose. “I am sure. Quite sure.” He crosses over toward where Maggie is working. “Are there any who are sick in the town?”

Maggy Kent:
There’s always someone in need of looking after. Most havent seen a doctor in years.

  • Egil nods as he looks at Maggy. “We should start with you, Miss Maggy?” He turns a chair around and sits down. “How have you been feeling?”

Maggy Kent:
Im well. Hard work keeps me feeling tip top. At least Im still at home.

Egil:
((jacking off))

Gunny:
((Just like gunny, combat jacks are the best!)

Egil:
((gunny likes to jack i his gilly suit))

Gunny:
(Though, not technically a combat jack)

Egil:
12,8,5,9

  • Uriel glances over to David, “Looks like that piston is shot, it’s just creating friction. If you’ve got something I could file it down with, and a decent wrench, I might be able to get it running smooth.”

David Kent:
Well thats mighty kind of you. We’d have to go check out any tools from Bloom.

David Kent:
Er… Ill get some for you later If i can.

  • Egil looks to see what maggie is working on. “What of the barna?”
  • David Kent collects the pump parts and wanders off quickly
  • Uriel looks curiously at the old man scurring away, he makes a note of the name and gets to his feet. Making his way around the perimeter of the property, the long way to arrive at the posted guards. Trying to observe people, buildings, anything of notice. Smiling friendly and carefree the entire time.

Maggy Kent:
A… Barna?

  • Egil shrugs. “Sorry. Children. Are the children ok? Any birthings?”

Uriel:
7,17

Maggy Kent:
Oh! Yes of course… Cant stop the young can you.

Maggy Kent:
We’ve had two children. One born to a refugee named Melissa who came south from… well now I cant remember. Anyways, she set up with one of Rose’s boys and now theyve got a little girl.

Maggy Kent:
The other was born to the Sealys… They do leatherwork.

Gunny:
(I’m not paid to care, I’m paid to fuck shit up.)
GM:
^

Gunny:
(And I’m not getting paid anymore…)

  • Uriel begins to put a picture together of the nature of Hidden Creek., for a moment his smile fades, before returning again as he notices another person within sight. He finishes his route along the edges of the property, and comes up to the guards

Uriel:
“Hey guys, how’s it going?”

Sentry:
What can I help you with?

  • Egil nods slowly. “Can you make sure that I see them? The barna… children? Just to make sure they have what they need.”

Uriel:
“Nothing much, just saying hey. I’m not one for cooking, figured I’d see what you two were up to. Gotta be pretty boring watching over an old couple’s B&B with a few unarmed traders mulling about.”

Maggy Kent:
When the women hear that there’s a doctor in town id imagine we’ll have to bar the door to keep them away.

Sentry:
Far as we know you’re raiders playing nice. Till Jim tells us otherwise, you’re dangerous.

Egil:
Why the women?

Maggy Kent:
Oh, you know how mothers are im sure

Uriel:
“Is that the Mayor? And hey, I’m not faulting you guys, gotta be hard work keeping a little slice of normal like this. But the fact remains, you’re the ones holding the guns, not us.That’s besides the point though, was wondering if you two might want to pass the time with a little game of chance.”

Sentry:
Jim… sorry yah, Jim Ward, the old mayor.

Sentry:
Look, I appreicate the act, but you can drop it. I got a wife and kid up the road and im not gonna have them get carted off because I was playing cards with you.

  • Maggy Kent notices the form of Bernard lurking near the doorway

Maggy Kent:
Now here’s a man who knows the value of a good cook, I can tell.

Maggy Kent:
Let me fix you a salad or some honey bread.

Bernard:
Yes mam i do

  • Egil nods. “Oh, yes. Well that is ok. I have made an oath… and I will honor it.”

Uriel:
“Hey say no more, I don’t want to get anyone in trouble. How about this, if Jim says we’re good to go, you know where to come for a good game, maybe with a stiff drink if that’s available in town.”

Bernard:
Thank you

Sentry:
Sure.

Maggy Kent:
Ive got some fresh greens just ready for picking. I wont be a moment

Bernard:
I could use a decent meal, I think these guys have been serving boiled shoes and porcupines for the last few months

  • Maggy Kent exits through the back kitchen door

Uriel:
“Take care guys, and don’t work too hard,” Uriel says with a laugh as he moves off, “If you need me, I believe you know where I’m staying.”

  • Maggy Kent returns a few minutes later with an armfull of produce the likes of which you havent seen in nearly a year. Peppers, Tomatoes, and fresh cabbage.
  • Maggy Kent sets to work cutting up the salad

Bernard:
Wow, nice looking veg. No problems from radiation or anything around here?

Maggy Kent:
Not in these parts. Noone got sick here, though weve seen em pass through.

Bernard:
them?

  • Maggy Kent gets a distant look in her eye for a moment.
  • Uriel stops as he’s almost back to the house and asks the sentries, “By the by, did you see Mr. Kent come by? I meant to ask him about that shower I’ve heard about.”
    refugees from further up north. Closer to the bombs.

Bernard:
How long ago was this?

Sentry:
Couldnt tell you.

  • Uriel shrugs indifferently, nods to them again and makes his way inside looking for the old man

Maggy Kent:
havent seen one for months now… maybe three months or so since we seen one of them all sick.

Maggy Kent:
Wasnt much we could do for them but move them along.

Egil:
Move them along?

  • Uriel makes his way through the house looking for David
    GM:
    David has made himself scarce
  • Uriel gives up looking for the old man and starts looking for neccessities for the gravity shower
  • Bernard sits down at the table and waiits for his vittles
    GM:
    You gather your things and make your way out to the shower. It’s screened by a high wood box and sided with old tarps. The water is cold but refreshing.

Maggy Kent:
Here you are! I had some boiled eggs and pickles too if you care for them.

  • Maggy Kent sets out several dishes.
    You say to the GM: Am I tall enough to see over the top, at 6’4"? to see if anyone is watching
    Maggy Kent whispers: some of the field workers seem to watch from time to time… noone seems to be taking a hard look.

Bernard:
Seen any chinese or canadians round here?
GM:
You eat another great meal at maggy’s table and she busies herself with small talk. When Bernard mentions that he passed through before the war she warms even more to him asking about his memories of better times."

  • Uriel finishes his shower and towels off quickly before dressing and heading back inside the house
  • Egil remains quiet, reserved, but attentively listening to the conversations that flow around him.
    GM:
    The day passes slowly with small talk. Several times during the day a few people enter the building to haul the garbage away. They dont look as well fed or healthy as the locals youve met. When asked, maggie just says “Oh they’re just refugees trying to make their way here. We didnt need much help so they do what they can to earn their keep”

Bernard:
3,6,6

  • Uriel waits in the house, keeping an eye out for David from time to time
    David appears again near sundown, he is noticably reticent to talk again
  • Egil takes time at some point during the day to take a shower.
  • Bernard wanders the house after his shower looking out the windows and trying to remember the layout of the town
  • Uriel gets David aside at some point during the night and begins, “Hey David, I just wanted to say you don’t have anything to worry about from us, I know my saying that doesn’t mean it until the Mayor confirms it, but I felt it needed to be said. One of the guards implied he’d get in trouble playing cards with me, I’m not trying to get anyone in trouble.”
  • David Kent nods but says nothing
  • Uriel pats the old guy on the shoulder, “My lips are sealed, and I’ll leave it there. If you want to talk or have me help with that pump, just say the word, till then I’ll leave you to your own.”
    GM:
    So do you guys want to do anything special over the night?
    jered:
    set up a watch
    jered:
    4 hours on 4 off or whatever

Uriel:
I will casually look through the house, trying to find a radio, or parts to one I may jerry-rig
GM:
There are very few signs of technology remaining in this house outside of the old empty light sockets

Uriel:
(I suppose I will watch second)

Egil:
((watch sounds good))

Uriel:
5,8

  • Uriel covertly moves from bed to bed, waking the others quickly to have them ready. He then makes his way towards the stairs to get a better ear on the group

Uriel:
6,19,2

  • Bernard looks for anything that can be used as a weapon.
    GM:
    bernard arms himself with a candlestick and a chamberpot (half full!)
  • Egil stirs and looks around as well for something, blunt force trauma sounds useful.
  • Uriel waves the group back cautiously, he speaks very lowly, and keeps his face turned away from the stairs and guarded by a hand, “Maggy’s telling them we’re decent folk.” Uriel turns back to the stairs and listens in, trying to pick up what the pair of men are saying, or if David’s voice pipes up
  • Uriel inches away from the stairs and mimics his earlier position as he speaks again, in a similar tone as to before, “We’ve got a good report, but something’s definitely off about Hidden Creek.” He stops quickly and motions for everyone to head back for the time being. Speaking quickly once back away from the stairs and closer to the rooms, “I don’t know if the man with Gill was Mayor Ward, or this man called Bloom, we’ll find out soon enough I imagine, but let’s play everything slow right now.”
  • Uriel keeps an ear out to towards the stairs in case any footsteps start up them, as he speaks

Gunny:
indeed
GM:
You hear the front door close. Peering out the window you see the two men walk walk away together talking.

  • Uriel recounts what he heard to the group, and gives his earlier impressions regarding the need to sign out tools, the sentry being carted off for playing cards, and the general malnourished appearance of the field workers

Egil:
((pumpkin warning… 5 – 10))
GM:
The rest of the night passes uneventfully
GM:
Last watch sees people heading out to the field and another change of guards.
GM:
A soft knock at the door of your rooms announces a working party of refugees who collect dirty water and the chamber pot from the end of the hall
GM:
Everyone can make an awareness check at -3

Bernard:
Whoa, hold up there guys i need to use that one more time real bad before you run off with it!

Bernard:
just kidding. Thanks

Uriel:
3,18

Comments

Whydon

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.